d3crypt

Some numbers (new)

350 posts in this topic

I've got a really weird UK toll free number - 0800 181 005. I can't figure out the point of the one "test" at all. Here's what it does:

• Answers with "You have reached the BT Global Managed Voice Network", on repeat
  • If you press 1 at any point, it says "option 1" and hangs up
  • If you press 2 or three at any point, it says just "two" or "three" respectively, and hangs up
  • If you press any number OTHER than 1, 2, or 3 while the initial message is repeating, it says "DTMF Check, please press either 1, 2 or 3"
  • At this point 1, 2, and 3 do the same as normal. Pressing any other button drops it back to repeating "You have reached the BT Global....", it will do this a few times then hang up. If you try pressing any more digits, it hangs up right away
  • If you don't ever press anything, it repeats the first prompt for about half a minute, then repeats the "DTMF Check..." one twice, then goes back to "You have reached...." again, then hangs up

That's all I've been able to get out of it and I've explored it pretty extensively. It also responds to a few other tones

• A,B,C,D tones all work, and drop you into the "DTMF Check..." menu
  • The following UK tones do the same - Congestion (400hz on and off), Pay tone (400Hz, on and off shorter and faster), Pay Phone Recognition (1200hz followed by 800hz) - for an explanation of these tones see http://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_tr/101000_101099/10104102/01.01.01_60/tr_10104102v010101p.pdf
  • A bluebox/MF "7" is treated as a three - I guess because the frequencies are pretty close? (700hz & 1500hz for the 7)

I've tried throwing a log of different tones at it - red box tones, MF tones, the works.

Does anyone have any idea what the point of the is? Or suggestions for other things to try? (also, should I give this it's own thread or is here fine?) Recordings attached.

Thanks for your help!

OScoder

option1.wav

2.wav

nada.wav

Posted (edited)

Does anyone have any idea what the point of the is? Or suggestions for other things to try? (also, should I give this it's own thread or is here fine?) Recordings attached.

Damn, it looks like you went all out. I'm surprised the congestion tone made it pipe up like that. I'd suggest scanning nearby numbers, but I looked up and down a single number and didn't find anything. It's definitely always good to try a few more, but the prospects of finding anything interesting near that don't seem great. If I were to guess though, the number is just something the administrators/developers made to test the IVR platform.

In Bellsouth territory, vertical service codes are apparently called Touchstar services:

954-786-9903 - rec, "We're sorry, but Touchstar service isn't available on this line."

954-786-9905 - rec, "Thank you. You've successfully deactivated your Touchstar service feature."

954-786-9908 - rec, "We're sorry, but preferred call forwarding and regular call forwarding can't be activated at the same time."

561-845-9902 - DMS EDRAM stock rec, "Your call screen service is now on." + all circuits busy cause code via SS7

305-284-9998 - Nortel auto-attendant at university, "Telephone remote service activation. Please enter the remote activation password followed by number sign."

617-421-4914 - DISA dialtone from a Definity PBX at the Lenox Hotel

305-536-2130 - Elevator. Siemens-made?

Edited by ThoughtPhreaker

On 11/18/2016 at 0:15 PM, JCSwishMan33 said:

Okay, I didn't realize the data on TelcoData was still getting updated. Heh. This will probably work for what I need. Thanks for pointing it back out to me!

http://localcallingguide.com is another great resource.

I talked to a friend about this a while back, and we agreed that the railroad networks might be a good place to look. People with a really traditional mindset, a fair amount of money, and the land/infrastructure to support telecommunications gear are exactly the right place to look. Union Pacific has a tieline network of some sort, and some Avaya PBXes to boot.

You know I never even thought about railroads, Strange because there are two major national lines operating yards within very short driving distance from me (one's a local call too).

BN and UP even both operated some sort of direct-dial telephone patch devices into their PBX (?) on 160/161 MHz until maybe the last 10 years or so (probably retired because of cell phones I would imagine). Just sitting on there out in the open. The field guys used to mainly reach the dispatcher over it but at least the UP one could dial out. You know I never did get around to figuring out how to access those thing.

Their main one in Nebraska has some modems on it that let you probe around their train network; 800-877-0272/0282/0304/0314. There's a lot of weather stations and things of the sort they have in weird places

I did get to play with that railroad weather dialup you posted a couple years ago. Interesting stuff and a bit nostalgic actually. Now that I no longer have a laptop or a serial modem for this linux box, damn, I really need to get a modem!

Power companies would also be a good choice - they always have weird things, and are pretty routinely the biggest users of 4-wire E&M trunks.

"What in the hell's happenin' ta mah DID traffic?"

58 minutes ago, scratchytcarrier said:

"What the hell's happenin' ta all'a mah DID traffic?"

"Doorbell? ... Doorbell... ... Doorbell? ... Doorbell..."

Was peeking at the old Test Line forum, and found that this one's still an odd thing: (501) 374-0453

757-484-9987 sounds like a broken echo test? 978-772-9404 is the same, but someone mentioned it was an ISDN test line?

Posted (edited)

415-380-0007 - ANAC?
415-380-0076,0099 - 911 non-emergency recording. This is probably what they give the sort of people who call 911 on the neighbor's dog or whatever.

757-484-9987 sounds like a broken echo test? 978-772-9404 is the same, but someone mentioned it was an ISDN test line?

You'll see echo tests that're broken like that pretty consistently. I've started to wonder if it's intentional or something. As for the 978 number, ISDN codecs work by transporting g.722 or AAC or whatever over the B channel where the mu-law PCM on most normal phone calls would be. Usually if a call from a non-ISDN line comes in (I think they tell this by whether or not the bearer cap indicates it's a data call; it can be data, speech, or 3.1 khz audio), they'll either tell the switch to reject the call, which usually gets you indefinite ringback from it, or even send you a mu-law feed of whatever is going into it. Some codecs though - like this one, tend to be not so great at telling the difference between the two.

Posted (edited)

I was digging through some ThoughtPhreaker numbers from back in 2012/2013 when I came across this entry:

503-654-9900 - Synthesized voice, "AM transmitter. Please enter access code"

....  Now there is a little something "extra" at the end of the message......   I wonder if someone figured out the access code??  :) Hahaha

AWW I see someone already discovered this in 2014

Edited by opelize

On 4/20/2017 at 0:10 AM, opelize said:

I was digging through some ThoughtPhreaker numbers from back in 2012/2013 when I came across this entry:

....  Now there is a little something "extra" at the end of the message......   I wonder if someone figured out the access code??  :) Hahaha

AWW I see someone already discovered this in 2014

Ha. Sounds like a Gentner / Burk VRC remote with the "Precise Pete" voice selected. I'm surprised that last word is in its vocabulary. Granted, I also had one saying some weird things. It really likes when you make it say "cheeeeeeeeeeeeese". Also it can't quite say "temperature" and the voice kinda cuts in late in many cases. They're also prone to a creepy failure mode where they keep saying something like "minus one J" over and over again - other functions do work but the moment it goes idle it just starts chanting "minus one J". This is a fatal problem and cannot be repaired as parts are no longer available.

xmtr.ogg

Posted (edited)

This is a fatal problem and cannot be repaired as parts are no longer available.

Out of curiosity, do you know much about the voice synth chip? Maybe it's something simple.

608-819-5000 - IVR on Glenayre VMS, Paetec Madison Switch site

609-585-9998 - Modem, Galaxy controller

609-585-9979 - 2400 baud modem

315-701-9120 - ETC Digicept remote phrase recording IVR

315-701-9171 - AT&T-LD non-payment recording from...602-9L!? (5ESS in Arizona)

206-723-0045 - Modem

0046,0047 - DATU

206-721-0008 - rec, "The number you have called is temporarily out of service and has been referred to US West Communications repair. Thank you for your patience. Please try your call later."

206-727-0066 - rec, "We're sorry, due to Pacific Northwest Bell network difficulties, all circuits are busy now. Please try your call again later."

"We're sorry, due to Pacific Northwest Bell network difficulties, all circuits are busy now. Please try your call again later."

Wow! Betcha she's probably long since retired by now.

206-345-7420 - Weird thingie on analog line, picks up and waits for DTMF

941-349-9929 - GTD-5 dialtone of some sort

On 4/17/2017 at 1:04 PM, ThoughtPhreaker said:

415-380-0007 - ANAC?

What the hell speech synthesis system is that?! That's the worst "number identification error" i have ever heard...and worst reorder? I can't even tell.

Strange PBX?

Wow, that thing to me screams "Digital" (the brand) since it kind of sounds like one of the old DEC Talker voices from way back. Notice the loud click when it cuts in and the faint carrier (?) white noise in the background, if it's a PBX (gotta be from that blastingly loud busy signal) it must be analog equipment.

Ghosts of the 1ESS?

.... Now there is a little something "extra" at the end of the message...... I wonder if someone figured out the access code?? :) Hahaha

Throw a 9-9-9 at it if you really want to piss it off.

5 hours ago, scratchytcarrier said:

Wow, that thing to me screams "Digital" (the brand) since it kind of sounds like one of the old DEC Talker voices from way back. Notice the loud click when it cuts in and the faint carrier (?) white noise in the background, if it's a PBX (gotta be from that blastingly loud busy signal) it must be analog equipment.

Definitely a PBX, when I got that "reorder" after three impulses it flashed and I got hold music.

6 hours ago, scratchytcarrier said:

Ghosts of the 1ESS?

Throw a 9-9-9 at it if you really want to piss it off.

My DECtalk is 2000mi away or I'd confirm but yes - it does sound like a DECtalk voice.

On 4/27/2017 at 6:20 AM, ThoughtPhreaker said:

315-701-9171 - AT&T-LD non-payment recording from...602-9L!? (5ESS in Arizona)

For me it's 005-T (Washington, DC 4ESS). So I assume it's not necessarily your local tandem, but the regional tandem that has that has that recording. (Sort of what they do with 800 numbers that are no longer in service)

Also tried it on MagicCrap and I got 010-T (Baltimore, MD)

My point was though, you always get 602-9L from that switch no matter what you're using; if you call the number over Sprint or MCI out of DC, you'll get that. Presumably the office is just spitting the call out on the first AT&T toll trunk it can grab, but for it to be homing on a switch on the other side of the country is just so weird.

Speaking of MCI, though, 248-270-9999 - *57 fail recording via MCI local switch. It has the same voice (and hum) as the error recordings on their DMS-250s. It sounds weird, hearing her say that after so many years of that generic CBCAD.

404-592-9998 - Another week, another Global Crossing DMS-500 dialtone

1-800-401-9574 - Toll-free number has been disconnected message from 074-T (via WOW!) / 061-T (via Verizon Wireless)

First time I've heard a message for a toll-free disconnect. The 074-T was consistent on WOW!, so I thought it might've been a message from the distant end, but... Obviously not.

On 6/21/2017 at 10:11 PM, JCSwishMan33 said:

1-800-401-9574 - Toll-free number has been disconnected message from 074-T (via WOW!) / 061-T (via Verizon Wireless)

First time I've heard a message for a toll-free disconnect. The 074-T was consistent on WOW!, so I thought it might've been a message from the distant end, but... Obviously not.

As I recall, the AT&T 4ESS tandems where that recording resides are regionally based. 074-T is Philadelphia and serves the mid-Atlantic region. I live in that area and I home on that as well.

206-357-0010 - Modem

360-433-0004 - rec, "Thank you for choosing XO Communications as your long distance provider."

206-315-0069 - Dialtone!

206-315-0098 - "A call from this phone number is invalid. Please call Nexlink customer service for assistance. Seattle 58"

415-563-0022 - Route verification recording

415-467-0095 - Modem

518-694-3000 - A NEC doohickey providing voicemail service for Firstlight Fiber. Try pressing 555-1# when it answers. Incidentally, the switchroom has a voicemail account. Who said scanning was hard?

262-392-1201 - Dialtone. I'm told this is some sort of telco centrex thing that has three digit extensions.

Posted (edited)

On 11/04/2017 at 0:02 PM, ThoughtPhreaker said:

Damn, it looks like you went all out. I'm surprised the congestion tone made it pipe up like that. I'd suggest scanning nearby numbers, but I looked up and down a single number and didn't find anything. It's definitely always good to try a few more, but the prospects of finding anything interesting near that don't seem great. If I were to guess though, the number is just something the administrators/developers made to test the IVR platform.

Thanks for your reply. I was hoping there was more to it, but it does look like it's just a weird test line.

I think the congestion tone was just an over-sensitive dtmf detector. Or my dodgy tone generator...

I've scanned the whole range. It's owned by BT, and a few of the old 6-digit 0800 ranges have interesting stuff on them. There's a couple other interesting things on this one - some of them still there since I first scanned it 10 years ago :) . PM me if you want  the numbers.

Edited by OScoder

Carls Junior Stuff

310-230-5370 - Carls Junior Office Number

805-745-7500 - Carls Junior Corporate Phone Number

Dial 3 for Directory
Dial 8 for Dial By name directory
Dial 0 to  Leave a message

-------------------
-    Directory    -
-------------------
1 - Asset Protection
2 - CKE Wellness