Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ramsaso

Odd thing on my phone line .... on-hook.

13 posts in this topic

Maybe somebody at the CO running some sort of test on your line?

I sometimes can hear faint crosstalk from my neighbour's ringing line when monitoring my on-hook line with an inter box. I can even hear them talking (not very often).

Edited by scratchytcarrier

hahahahahahahah impossible. 

My line is served out of a DLC w/ DSLAM.

Depending on the arrangement, you never know. For a while, I was getting 5ESS service from a FTTC box, and there was crosstalk from some other phones ringing. Moreso then on service straight from a normal line card.

When you're getting service from a 5ESS linecard, you'll know right away, though. It makes this very distinct sound when you go offhook . If you go on-hook again for a very short time again, you can even cause it to make this weird noise before dialtone comes on.

http://thoughtphreaker.omghax.ca/files/5Edialtone.mp3
http://thoughtphreaker.omghax.ca/files/5Edialtonealt.mp3

Anyway, sorry - you'll have to work with me here. These recordings are from like, a hundred years ago. I didn't quite know what I was doing then. I have a much better recording around here somewhere, but it's buried under a mess of files (or minidiscs). In practice, the line served out of the FTTC card sounded much better - one of the best I've heard in a phone, actually, so I made most of my recordings from that while I lived there.

EDIT: Apparently code tags will stop the forums from embedding that stupid flash player whenever you link to audio files. Sorry, the tags won't allow for hyperlinks.

Edited by ThoughtPhreaker

TP: your links should be 5Edialtone.mp3 and 5Edialtonealt.mp3

Thoughtphreaker's file illustrates the "true" sound.  Many telephones obscure the sounds you hear, particularly the sounds of the dialtone coming on.  To hear an example of this, check out the first few seconds of a recording I made, also hundreds of years ago when I didn't know what I was doing, that has a bassier sound.  This particular telephone I used (I recorded off the earpiece) brings out the ticks (pun not intended) before the dialtone, but it does not *actually* sound like this.  In short, the phone you use matters.

Western Electric phones in good condition are highly regarded for their receive quality, but many carbon microphones sound like crap today resulting in poor transmission quality.  Pounding them against something very hard can help, but in my experience, some mics just sound better than others.  I suspect the humidity has a lot to do with it - high humidity conditions cause the carbon granules to stick together, and exposure to such conditions for years causes some irreversible binding.  Carbon mics made in the early 80's are your best bet for a good sounding mic, IMO.

http://jmana9.com/audio/Monroeville_5ESS.mp3

I have seen a cordless phone (can't remember if it was a Panasonic or VTech) pick up the line for that amount of time, usually after a call on another extension has hung up.  I suppose this is the way it determines if the line is still in use.  When the line is in use, it lights an LED on the base and displays a message on the handsets.

many carbon microphones sound like crap today resulting in poor transmission quality. Pounding them against something very hard can help, but in my experience, some mics just sound better than others. I suspect the humidity has a lot to do with it - high humidity conditions cause the carbon granules to stick together, and exposure to such conditions for years causes some irreversible binding. Carbon mics made in the early 80's are your best bet for a good sounding mic

I had an early '90s GTE 2500 clone made by Vodavi (model HAC 2500-20M) that had a condenser microphone in place of a carbon one, yet was wired to a small PCB that essentially made it act like a carbon mic as far as the fone was concerned. It was soldered to the terminals in a little plastic cartridge that replaced the standard microphone cup in the type-G handset, even included the modular plug and wires for the speaker in the same unit. The phone itself croaked a couple years ago, but had one of the better sounding microphones I had in one of those sets.

Anybody know where I can get replacements for that microphone assembly? I'd like to convert all my 500s/2500s to those if I can. Some of my WE carbons are pushing 60 years old and sound like it.

TP: your links should be 5Edialtone.mp3 and 5Edialtonealt.mp3

Ahh, thanks. Like I said, it's been a while :) . I've started transferring a bunch of old minidiscs, so I'll edit this with some better recordings when I find them. In the meantime, I leave you with this; http://thoughtphreaker.omghax.ca/audio/tops_ss7nis.ogg

I have seen a cordless phone (can't remember if it was a Panasonic or VTech) pick up the line for that amount of time, usually after a call on another extension has hung up.  I suppose this is the way it determines if the line is still in use.  When the line is in use, it lights an LED on the base and displays a message on the handsets.

There's an Epson printer/fax/scanner/copier/dishwasher that does something like that. Whenever you go offhook, it'll also go offhook for whatever reason. I guess to make sure you aren't a fax call that got picked up by an answering machine or something (why not listen on-hook? Why not only do it when ringing voltage was recently seen?), but it's incredibly annoying, so I usually keep it a safe distance from my phone line.

JmanA9 linked us to Sandman's site for a drop-in replacement:

http://sandman.com/parts.html

EMS-94 Electronic Carbon Replacement with High Quality Sound: $14.95.

Excellent! Thanks for that. Will consider getting several.