Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dial Tone

Those American Express Readers

37 posts in this topic

I just got mine.

Is there anything it can be used for, other than the intended purpose? Maybe a program that would let me stick in a card and read off the data from it?

i've seen a lot of programs that function as RS-232 sniffers. I plan to fire one of those up when mine arrives.

Where is that damn link to order? :grr:

you could copy the data off of one of those 15 day trial directv things or whatever they are. then you can keep re-programming it after it gets deactivated by directv after every so many days.

heh.... now I just need a card writer... I would have free arcade games for LIFE! j/k

Edited by neuro

i wonder if you could write using these readers and if you could read using linux.

also where do you get the cards that work with them, i opened one up and you will need a specific one like the telephone cards, or direct tv cards, both which is do not have.

thanks

i wonder if you could write using these readers and if you could read using linux.

also where do you get the cards that work with them, i opened one up and you will need a specific one like the telephone cards, or direct tv cards, both which is do not have.

thanks

these are readers. you cannot write cards. card writers cost approximately a gajillion dollars.

thanks

these are readers. you cannot write cards. card writers cost approximately a gajillion dollars.

yeah, it's practically the difference between a tape reader and a recorder. to record you need a record head, (or part...whatever) that just isn't present in the reader.

thanks

actually it does not cost much to have a credit cards writter, you could get one for about $100. it would pay just on the first try :D:D

from the maker web site, you can get software, they are java drivers, they are said to work in linux and xp, but i'm not sure, i'm still trying to download them, (damn 12kbps) but you can use for other than the intended purpose, you can use it with a lot of software i'm pretty sure. If you were only able to get the serial version like me, (I wanted a keyboard!!!) there is a link to a thread at the Gemplus web site with the links to the drivers and some shit. Good luck

EDIT:the link its self, is in the links section where we first heard about this.

Edited by phreakblaze

keep us updated on whatever you do with those smar cards. :teeth:

any 1 got theres yet, I can't figure this shit out! "Some open card frame work or something. I need to get more sleep!

edit

Hello,

I would like to add that, as Mark said, the GCR415

(aka Amex reader) is compatible with the GemPC410,

both being using the GemCore technology.

A a consequence, you can also use the Gemplus

pure java drivers with this reader, available

freely at the following URL:

http://www.gemplus.fr/developers/technolog...s/download.html

and just specify in your opencard.properties file

a line such as (on the same line):

OpenCard.terminals = com.gemplus.opencard.terminal.GemplusCardTerminalFactory|myreader|GCR410|COM1

Hope it helps.

Cheers,

Christophe.

That is what some one says to do with the drivers.

Edited by phreakblaze

Actually, a smart card reader can write (program is a better word) cards also.

You guys should really check out the article I wrote in DIG #1, it will clear up a lot of stuff and gives some good links.

Actually, a smart card reader can write (program is a better word) cards also.

You guys should really check out the article I wrote in DIG #1, it will clear up a lot of stuff and gives some good links.

/me checks ^_^

I should be getting all my shit soon ... PHEER... :grr:

lowtec could you directly to a tutorial or site tat will teach me how to make the card reader a programmer as well??

I really don't have any tutorial sites of that nature.. depending on the type of hardware slightly different programming methods will be supported. I would suggest some searches on smart card developer kits and the like. The satellite tv hackers have made some nice stuff in the past.

Don't think I'm done with smartcards yet, look for another article in the future. I'm just busy with school at the moment..

i went on to the site, ordered mine, got to the submit screen, pressed submit which brought me to the order #, and pressed back, and submit again, to give me another order #, and i repeated it 7 or 8 times... i wonder how many i'll get :roll:B)

just got my 3 today

Once again I drag my lazy butt out to the mailbox, and nothing; You got 3 today? Thats harsh. :cry:

just got my 3 today

Once again I drag my lazy butt out to the mailbox, and nothing; You got 3 today? Thats harsh. :cry:

same here :(