c0rrupt3d

A Visit from the FBI

44 posts in this topic

I'm all for the thermite idea.

However failproof stuff is all about redundancy, I would have the system set up to do a secure wipe disk unless a certain key combination was held down during boot up. That along with some thermite inside the disk set to go off upon improper unplugging or the likes, a secure encrypted filesystem and an itchy trigger finger should help you sleep a little easier at night.

This is my ideal how you would do it i have no ideal but:

mod your HD so that it could run off a small battery

make some sort of program that when like stated befor if the right keys arnt held down during boot-up that it would start eraseing over and over again just make it a loop

or make it so when the HD is disconnected from the PC it starts writeing over it as many times as needed

Im not sure if thats clear because i got kind of confused writeing it but you get the general ideal

Pagers would suck... ecspecially if someone was scanning your exchange. A photocell would suck because if you are anything like me you are ALWAYS opening your case up to do various things. Ideally you would set up some sort of dial-in system with an actual passcode, but barring that a really high frequency remote detonator, possibly set up to go on a double pulse, would work pretty well. Manual data destruction is a luxury you only have when they are not in fact kicking at your front door, a situation that calls for your hands being either on your head or the trigger of your gun, and not attempting to write zeros to a hard disk 7-20 times.

Whatever happened to the fifth amendment?

They can supeonoa(sp?) me as many times as I want. I can simply plead the fifth.

After all, if the cops have a search warrant, you aren't required to let them into the house. BUT they just bust down the door then. If the cops want to get into my "house", I'm going to make them "Bust in".

And as for ideas, why not rig up your comp so there was a flap, that would allow you to just reach in and YANK out the hard drive?

supeonoa(sp?)

subpeona ( i think :D ).

well, you can have one o those removable hdd tray things....

Best way to destroy data, found by my brother with old computer i let him have:

items needed:

1. pickup truck

2. maul

steps, drive up the road and drop the computer out of car (does a little damage) then smash it with the maul. Lets see if even teh leeto mounties can recover that data! (of course you must know the fbi is coming ahead of time :grr: )

that makes me think, I wonder if any of the DOD standards books have a method for data destruction.

Yes - physical destruction of the hard drive and any backups.

I will try to find the CFR on it.

I would try searching the DOE sites for their methods.

I would also read up on articles regarding Los Alamos National Labs and their lessons learned about lack of regulation on their data. I know that it was standard practice to dump everything in their own personal land fill, but they have come underfire from the gov. since then.

Hotaru

Personally I hate how the FBI look down on hackers, they think were all the same. The think the word hacker and perseve us as black-hats. I Still Remember when the FBI showed up at our 2600 meeting at the chicago union station. They thought we were talking about "Illegal" stuff.. After they talked to us. We invited them to sit in and listen. They did and said that they can see that we are not a evil hacker group out to cause problems and said they would love to see us keep gathering and they learned a lot from our meeting.

do they show up often to your meetings now? - i might head up to the Chicago meeting sometime for the hell of it...

you should feed them some really stupid info so that they think your all stupid and just stop caring bout you......after all who cares what the goverment thinks

oh yeah i like the thermite idea that was killer im gonna try to rig that up

Edited by I03rr0r

you should feed them some really stupid info so that they think your all stupid and just stop caring bout you......after all who cares what the goverment thinks

oh yeah i like the thermite idea that was killer im gonna try to rig that up

:P dont burn yourself or your computer

burn yourself, naaaah

if you got near thermite, you'd straight up fry :blowfuse:

Well do us all a favor ... test out your theory for us! :grr:

i dont supose anyone has some spare thermite lying around in the back of your closet

Pertaining to the amount of times it take to wipe a government drive, if it's for further government use it only takes three times. It's actually once written over with 1's, then with 0's and on the final pass it's a user picked option. If the drive is going to leave government use it has one of two options, a degausser or a sledgehammer....

If you don't know what a degausser is, it's a cabinet sized piece of equipment that basically hit's the drive with a big emp.

The funny part about it all is that the German standard is the 20 time write over that was mentioned before...

DoD standard is 7 times but that was set in 92 which means you need 3 to 5 times that number now adays for it to be secure but if you wanted it really secure my sigestion would be to...

1) standard bitflip (fill with 0's and then 1's)

2) stnadard format (pick a filesystem)

3) file the filesystem with blocksized txt files of random data

4) encypher the files indavidually with random passwords

5) pubpriv encrypt the drive using a random passphrase

6) standard format (differant filesystem then before)

7) standard bitflip 1/3 of the total desided number

8) repeat steps 1-7 till total remaining bitflips == 0

please note that step 1 doesnt count against the total number of bitflips

DoD standard is 7 times but that was set in 92 which means you need 3 to 5 times that number now adays for it to be secure but if you wanted it really secure my sigestion would be to...

1) standard bitflip (fill with 0's and then 1's)

2) stnadard format (pick a filesystem)

3) file the filesystem with blocksized txt files of random data

4) encypher the files indavidually with random passwords

5) pubpriv encrypt the drive using a random passphrase

6) standard format (differant filesystem then before)

7) standard bitflip 1/3 of the total desided number

8) repeat steps 1-7 till total remaining bitflips == 0

please note that step 1 doesnt count against the total number of bitflips

DAMN!

Actually the standard for anything below Top Secret is only 3 times. Here's a site for a company that sells a software package for it:

http://www.zdelete.com/dod.htm

It's based on the DOD 5502.22 manual which was originally written in 1995. I'm not sure what the exact standard above secret is because I only deal with up to secret drives, but then again this is also only for drives that are going to be used for government use again. If the drive is going back to a vendor or to DRMO they have to be degaussed.