Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
XxthugstylezxX

Recomendations on books....

23 posts in this topic

In stead of wasteing my money i figure id ask if any one had any good recomendations on "hacking" related books like books on good programming, TCP/IP ect ect.. These are what i got so far

~The art of deception

~The unofficial guide to ethical hacking (great book would recomend it for any one)

~Two books on java ( :voteno: i wish they had differnt programming class's at my school)

Im thinking of getting a book on C++ or just C and perl, then looking into differnt books concerning hacking

Sorry to sorta derail the thread but:

Do any of you know any good books on telephone switching systems? Or would texts/.pdfs from online be the best?

A good C book is the book written by Dennis Richey himself. I personally don't like C++, but learn it if you want

C is defineately something good to learn, although I haven't found a book that I absolutely love...

one book that I do absolutely love is "programming perl", the 'camel book'.

as for switches, see if your local public library has the bell system technical journals on micro or something.

also, www.packetstormsecurity.nl/landline_telephony

Edited by neuro

C is defineately something good to learn, although I haven't found a book that I absolutely love...

one book that I do absolutely love is "programming perl", the 'camel book'.

as for switches, see if your local public library has the bell system technical journals on micro or something.

also, www.packetstormsecurity.nl/landline_telephony

Yeah, I got the stuff from packetstorm. I'll do that for the library though. Thanks :)

I have it, it's ok, but I learned that I hate C++, and there is no god

I just picked up "The Pearl CD Bookshelf", from O'REILLY. It has 'Peal in a Nutshell', 'Programming Perl, Perl Cookbook', 'Advanced Perl Programming', and 'Perl for System Administration'. All in one Book.......... I got it for $19.95 at Books a million the other day. Pretty decent find.

Check out "UNIX Shell Programming 4th Edition" by Lowell Jay Arthur & Ted Burns

Definitely if any, Hacking: The Art of Exploitation. That is by far the best book written if you are curious about exploit techniques, and how they are accomplished, and a friend of mine helped in the making of that book, so all the more reason to get it! :P

I have it, it's ok, but I learned that I hate C++, and there is no god

yeah, yeah, yeah.... you hate C++ and love gentoo.... we know...

anyways, I'm going to start doing "hacking book of the week" again.... I'll need to ask elimist if it's okay to host them on his box...

What about books on NLP/Social Engineering , or phreaking? Any recomendations on those subjects?

I've got a pile of books, some of my faves are Essential System Administration , for reference, Learning the Bash shell helped me out a lot early, and Programming Perl. I read The Fugitive Game in a weekend and it got me interested in security and hacking, and that's all I've wanted to do since. Recently I've gotten into Hacking: The Art of Exploitation, and I just finished How to Own the Box.

One of the best things I've done though is to get a Safari account from O'Reilly. Usually I have a specific question or topic that I want to look into and read up on, so I just search for it, load up the book and read for a couple weeks or so, then dump the book in favor of another one. It's kinda like a library for tech books that you have to pay for, but it's worth it if you're like me and read a chapter from one book, get interested in something else, read a chapter or two from that, then move on again. The books are all current, unlike my local library system (which sucks) and if you find something you really want to keep on hand, you can even download the chapter as a PDF. Yeah, you have to pay for the service, but I still think it's cheaper than buying books at $60 each when you may only be interested in a couple chapters.

The ones I like best I still buy though.

if you want to be an evil book pirate, check out #bookz on undernet. I got "how to own the box" off of there, and pretty much any o'reilly book is there is high-quality pdf. if you can afford it though, buy the o'reilly books. you can read them on the crapper!

... you can read them on the crapper!

If you've got a laptop you can do that with the PDF too. :D

PF

One of the best books that I have read on hacking was "Hackers Beware" by Eric Cole. He explains the techniques and methodologies of hackers very clearly and doesn't go into the whole "evil hacker" bullshit. It's well worth it.