Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Partyline4

Making a classic rotary or DTMF phone mobile?

10 posts in this topic

Hey I had a great, but obviously thought of, idea to take my classic Bell ( not for resale) 1970's phone and make it to where I can use it in my car!

This is the basic question:

Is it even remotely possible?

I know about the GTE rotary mobile phone. ( don't care for cheap remakes of phones)

Thanks!

Someone over at SparkFun did that with a (iirc) 500 series Western Eletric desk phone. The project may still be hosted on their site, it was some time ago. But it's certainly possible!

I found the webpage. It was a little discouraging,  the guy said it didn't really dial out perfectly EVERY time. 

How would someone even remotely know how to complete this task? He seems like an electrical engineer.

Oh well..

Edited by Partyline4

Having high-tech hobbies is a good way to pick up the necessary knowledge. IIRC, the device was built from pre-assembled modules that were hooked together and controlled by some outside microcontroller. This is much easier to do than it sounds -- look into the Arduino project if you have no microcontroller experience.

It'll be a bit harder if you have zero programming experience, but then again it's also a great way to learn!

I guess a good question to ask is:

Do cellular companies listen for DTMF?

I would figure since the phones make the noises BEFORE you dial out, that the noise is just a simulation for an "effect". :/

Any DTMF you're hearing is probably all synthesized by the handset; cellular codecs aren't capable of reliably transmitting DTMF, let alone anything else, so touchtones are sent via the call signaling channel.

When cell phones really started getting popular, a few companies made these dock interfaces for certain brands of cell phones.  You'd stick your cell phone into a dock and that would connect it to all of your home phones so you could make and receive cell phone calls from any handset in the house.  Probably gave them a fake dial tone and everything.  If you can find those products, you could probably use them to make your rotary car phone.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/20/att-wireless-home-phone-goes-prepaid/

Here's a new $100 device that will give your home phones prepaid cell service through AT&T.  Only $20/month for unlimited U.S. calls.  And if they offer all the other AT&T wireless prepaid plans, you can use their plan that I use for my cell phone which comes out to about $8/month.

When cell phones really started getting popular, a few companies made these dock interfaces for certain brands of cell phones.  You'd stick your cell phone into a dock and that would connect it to all of your home phones so you could make and receive cell phone calls from any handset in the house.  Probably gave them a fake dial tone and everything.  If you can find those products, you could probably use them to make your rotary car phone.

WOW That is really something!

Thanks a ton!