Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
systems_glitch

PCI Ribbon Cable Risers

5 posts in this topic

Anyone have experience with these? We've got a 1U server that came with one. Seems like sort of a bad idea to extend high speed bus lines with unshielded ribbon cable.

i have a right angle riser seems to work fine its just plastic prolly isnt shielded or anything. if it works fine it works, but probably dont want abnormaly long extensions, like pluging one into another into another one into another one

Yeah, I've used the right angle ones that are just a PCI slot mounted on a stub of circuit board, they work fine. This is made with ribbon cable, just a wider version than old IDE drive cable.

So either PCI ribbon cable risers suck, or the PCI chipset on Intel D525MW boards can't handle a PCI-X card in a PCI slot. I'm leaning toward blaming the riser card.

dunno, the right angle i have is just plastic and pins, so if all the wires are connected properlly/resistance isnt overly high shouldnt be any problems, i guess i would try to find any information about drivers/bios whatever issues, maybe try a regular pci card or something