sl1pm0de

Lets get a hacker con going in Arizona!!!

48 members have voted

1. 1. where do ya fit in?

• White hat
    • Black Hat
    • Gray Hat
    • I don't wear any fukking hats.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

67 posts in this topic

Its time to take our collective group to the next level

We have a lot of people here that are involved in a lot of things. There are people doing text files, starting up and running E-Zines, doing entire shows on subjects that are hacking and phreaking related, sharing information and experience. There are many groups of people doing things and many of us are linked to other groups making things happen and grow. Lets take this community and put together our own conference that has our thoughts and ideas in mind. Some people here may not know me but I do the In The Now show and am apart of the Arizona 2600 meetings. I have also been on the infamous Radio Phreak America as a guest. I have talked to a few people that would help head things up so we could make this happen and I think the support for a core team to put things together is there. The conference would be in 2005 and an exact date is not set. Most likely it would be in the summer time.

Other then just having a conference with speakers, I would like to have workshops that go over a certain subject and explain how to-do things. I think it would be good to share the knowledge and experience in a way that others can learn from and pickup on. Also there are many people here that are all about spreading the word and sharing comments and opinions about things that are going on out there. There are many people that we all know that do their own shows, their own E-Zines and I think that we could bring that to the Con as well. We would do live shows of everyone's show. Also get a chance to pickup all the E-Zines that you may have missed out on or even discover some new ones. It's all about spreading the knowledge. Lets take our knowledge and spread it. Also in the meantime meet online friends and generally have a great time. Arizona has great weather and is a modern city with many tech companies and technical savvy people.

First we need to get the support of YOU so that we know we could pull this thing off. Use this thread to give feedback. If we have enough support we will then start looking into the details about where the Con will take place and around what date. We will need people to help out in certain areas of course. Setting up a Con is a big task and we sure will need the help. Let us know what you think of this idea!

I am definately in favor of this and would be willing to help get things organized. I think this would be a blast!

Well, you have my support at least. And the support of CCCPR

I voted yes cause that would be freakin awesome... buuutt i also think that it would be cool to have it more in the midwest... lol i know i live in the midwest, but i was talking to alot of hackers from the east coast and half of them can't afford to travel half way accross the country to a con in the middle of the desert of nevada. Thats why there is success with h2k because of the overwhelming amounts of east coast people that can attend...

If we started up a con in Chicago, like the main transportation hub of the country we'd get alot more hits towards it, if not even more international hits as well .... just a thought

EDIT: i say we move this to general or Misc. so more people see it

Edited by Subzero1037

I will be there, present, run cable, and be zapper's towel boy.

Ok whos gonna put the hotel conference room on their dads credit card? Or maybe we can have it in someone's basement.

Lol, jk this sounds like a cool idea we just need to figure details and get some input.

My dad wouldn't mind ;) hahahahaha

"Dad, I know the whole college thing is kinda setting you behind with me... but can i borrow your credit card, were renting out a hotel..."

"I'll be theeeeereeeee, I'll be theeeeerreeeee, just call my name and I'll be theeeerreeeee".

I give in... if Feend is in then im in..... So what are we waiting for! lets get the show on the road

I'm with subzero with his idea of having it in chicago. Going out to Arizona would be kind of out of my way, and i think there is a lot more people that hack that are in chicago.

I'm there ... Just let me know how I can help. ^_^

Plausibly, the first step would be to secure a location ... I mean maybe the bookstore wouldn't mind holding a con there, but even if they did it probably's not kewl if there are a lot more than the 20 or so 2600-AZ people.

Just my ¥200. *Shrug*

-@®©1-1@/\/GE1_

I'd be down for a con in Arizona. It will take some serious cash to put it together, though.

Sounds cool to me. There are many plazas downtown but we probably wont be looking at the same amount of people as the other two main confs. Holiday Inn, ASU and the like offer rooms for organizations at no cost or very small cost to a range that probably wouldnt be reasonable. Im assuming we would want the power of the net on our side as well.

I'd be down for a con in Arizona. It will take some serious cash to put it together, though.

Yeah no doubt .. get yourself ready to spend anywhere from 15 -25 G'Z :grr:

I would be down to attend something like this, whether it be in AZ or in the midwest. I've never been out to the desert so that would be pretty cool. :voteyes:

Coming up with the money. Now that's a whole other issue.

Lets not get this off track. Of course everyone would want the conference to be right down their street. Put aside the location comments and yes Arizona does have a large crowd of hackers here. We have the fifth largest city in the US and its still growing.

As far as money goes to setup a conference, do not let that be an issue of whether you would want to have the conference or not. It can be done.

Lets not get this off track. Of course everyone would want the conference to be right down their street. Put aside the location comments and yes Arizona does have a large crowd of hackers here. We have the fifth largest city in the US and its still growing.

As far as money goes to setup a conference, do not let that be an issue of whether you would want to have the conference or not. It can be done.

I already have a con right down the street. :P I knew Az had a lot of hackers, but I wasnt ware that Pheonix was the 5th largest city in the US...wow.

Like I said before, this sounds dope. Ive never been to AZ and Ive been wanting to visit for a while, just never had a good reason to. This would be more than a good reason. The thing is, you want people to not say "oh, its just another con, blah, blah", you want something to set yours apart and give ppl incentive to show up. I'm pretty sure that we all can pull some strings.

And for those who want the midwest thing, I have some inside info on something that will probably be going down in Chicago in '05.

And for those who want the midwest thing, I have some inside info on something that will probably be going down in Chicago in '05.

can you elaborate on this decoder??

That would make it not inside info, wouldnt it?

And a con in arizona would rule, and I would TRY and help, but I wonder how much I could really do, other than throwing a righteous after-party.

That would make it not inside info, wouldnt it?

And a con in arizona would rule, and I would TRY and help, but I wonder how much I could really do, other than throwing a righteous after-party.

damn laws. I'm only 16, so that would be a little sketchy for me to be drinking with you guys in a state i have never been in. I'd like to hear more about the thing in Chicago though cuz i go there every summer for vacation, and i could bring my bro.

So things do not get confusing, Decoder can you start another topic about the Chicago thing?

edit: Im actually not saying anything more about it. Sorry, slip.

Edited by decoder