mSparks

Android is sharing wifi passwords with google

10 posts in this topic

Ssooo I just got a new phone.

Logged it into my google account.

And all the wifi networks from my old phone - with passwords appeared in settings.

Normally I wouldn't care about what google does with my data - they provide a shed load of decent services which would cost a small fortune to get anywhere else, and I keep quite a distinct seperation between anything that goes in google, and "me".

But this is fairly scary.

And all the wifi networks from my old phone - with passwords appeared in settings.

Normally I wouldn't care about what google does with my data - they provide a shed load of decent services which would cost a small fortune to get anywhere else, and I keep quite a distinct seperation between anything that goes in google, and "me".

Who's your cell service provider?

nice.. so now when they use their "street view" cars and map APs they can also log into them and snoop around... or possible provide other android devices some free WiFi from your network....

Do you know if the MAC addresses of the APs are synchronised as well? Also, I'm not sure about the Android sync, but for Chrome the data (bookmarks, settings, passwords, themes, etc) is encrypted with your password prior to being synchronised, so (ostensibly) Google does not have access to that data. However I suppose they could get access if they really wanted to, since you send them your password every time you log in to a Google service.

Do you know if the MAC addresses of the APs are synchronised as well? Also, I'm not sure about the Android sync, but for Chrome the data (bookmarks, settings, passwords, themes, etc) is encrypted with your password prior to being synchronised, so (ostensibly) Google does not have access to that data. However I suppose they could get access if they really wanted to, since you send them your password every time you log in to a Google service.

You make a good point - "theoretically" google should not be able to see them if this is the case.

But still fairly shocking to see, and definitely something that should have an "opt out" feature.

->Do you want to synchronize your wifi access points with google -> Hell f'ing no.

i agree that is quite scary, and now google is trying to get the medical records thing going again :(

i dont want google to have my medical records, or any of my info for that matter.

i agree that is quite scary, and now google is trying to get the medical records thing going again :(

i dont want google to have my medical records, or any of my info for that matter.

scared. :blink:

Hi Thanks for the heads up on this seriously getting out of the cozy feelin with my phonezone

looks like you can disable it in settings - privacy - back up settings.