Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jelliott7593

Data Recovery for ext hdd

6 posts in this topic

So, long story short I got a WD 1TB external HDD about 4 months ago. Last night it wasn't being recognized by my box so I tried it on several different computers and had the same results. The HDD lights up and makes a quiet clicking noise (Warranty expired already somehow). My question is does anybody know of a good reliable data recovery company that isn't ridiculously expensive? I've been looking around and there's many places I just want to see if anyone has used one before and had good results. I just got old code and projects on it that I wanna be able to recover. Thanks!

These guys do great work for cheap compared to the rest of 'em, but cheap compared to the rest of 'em isn't the same as cheap.

http://www.drivesaversdatarecovery.com/

Thank you, I'm gonna look into them right now. Have you ever used them directly by any chance?

Edited by phasma

Nope, just heard from folks who've used it.

Have you tried sticking the thing in a freezer? Zip it up in a freezer bag full of rice, stick it in the freezer, and try starting it up in the computer as soon as you take it out. Grinding usually means a stuck platter, so it's possible that'd fix it. I've also heard spinning it, so maybe tape it to a paper plate and spin that on the floor really fast (again, freezing it before doing that might help). If you stick it in the freezer, you must use a gallon freezer bag and rice or you risk letting condensation short the electronics (or damage the drive itself).

If its ticking its either a crashed read head or a bad power supply.

Try taking it out of the enclosure and hooking it directly up to a sata power supply. If it still ticks then its a crashed read head. There is also the slight chance is a fried or corrupt controller board (or corrupt firmware on the controller board). EIther way, its fucked.

http://www.cbldatarecovery.com/ <- best in the biz. I dont trust anyone else with my clean room data recovery. They do free estimates and they have a no data no charge policy.

I've personally used them a few times. One time they didn't get any solid results, but they shipped the drive back to me with a raw recovery of the jpgs FOR FREE. I was very impressed.

They are very professional.

Edited by Afterm4th