Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StankDawg

Greatest hacks of all time.

33 posts in this topic

It was hilarious when that bastard was in the back of the pickup with the 2 laptops. I couldnt stop laughing, dont feel bad ive never heard of the guy either.

I personally believe the greatest hack of all time was the discovery that the 2600 herz tone allowed free phone calls by the 10yr old blind kid named Denny of which was passed down to Captain Crunch who then found out that the Captain Chrunch wistle could also but used in the same way. And thus the blue box was born....

you know, that gives me a GREAT IDEA. Epiphany, how about an article in the next RF (#4) listing all of the people who contribute to this thread as authors ("A list of the greatest hacks of all time as compiled by DDP forum members including: ..."). This would be a much more CREDIBLE list coming from us instead of MTV, TLC, or some other bullshit "mockumentary" ever put out.

-----

The topic: a list of the greatest hacks of all time!

my input:

:paw: On my list would have to be the formation of LINUX as a viable, competitive OS through years of hacker cooperation and community. It is not a hackingevent but more of a hacking accomplishment.

:paw: I also think the Robert Morris one from the graphic above is a great one for demonstrating what could happen.

:paw: Also above, the Kevin Poulsen story (although it is a shortened and summarized version) is a great example as well.

[edit: doh..didn't read other's posts first]

i think what vladimir levin did was pretty amazing - $10 million fund transfer!?

while I may not agree with the ethical standards used there, it's still pretty shocking

and steve wozniak - couldn't afford a computer so he built his own.

I'm with cxi ..

The Woz.. made his own desk top computer.. before there was such thing as desktop computers.

I think one of the greatest hacks was by me (hehe)... when I was 16 I figured out how to get free cola out of a Coke machine by making a ladder out of tape connecting to the bottom of a dollar bill. You would insert your dollar up until the tip of your tape ladder.. pressing what kind of pop you want.. rip the dollar out. You get your pop, your dollar back, and change.

I made a crude ascii diagram to go in this spot.. but it didn't turn out right on here. So if you want to know what I'm talking about.. e-mail me or message me on AIM or something.

Anyway.. use a few layers of tape.. masking tape works nicely. Make sure it's stuck on there good.

To be honest. I don't know if this works anymore.. I haven't done it in a while.. but it only worked on Coke Machines.

I wrote a text on it years ago.

Now, I'm sure others have figured this out.. but hell.. no one else wrote a text about at the time.. So I take full credit for it. Even though I got the Idea from an old Loony Toons cartoon where porky pig put string on a washer and inserted it into a coke machine.. and yanked it out and got a free coke.

Some people might not call this a hack.. But I think it qualifies. I manipulated a piece of machinery to do something in a totally different way. Now, it might be unethical. But oh well. It happens. If you're dead thirsty, and need a drink. And have tape. Go for it.

Take that Woz. :P

well, that trick has been bandied around for years... Yes, I would call it a hack, and ethical or not shouldn't really matter fo rthis list. No offense, but I don't know that you were the first to come up with it.

Not a bad idea StankDawg... Let's go for it.

That was a crazy thing that vladimir levin did. I think out of the 10 mil that he stole about $75,000 is unaccounted for so someone got the money.. it's a mystery as to whom however.

Cool Coke Cola Information Kleptic... You probably read the article already but there is a pretty good Vending machine article in RF3. It doesn't have your cool exploit though. :)

As I said.. There are probably others that thought of it before me. Hell I got the idea from watching a Porky Pig cartoon. So I'm sure some kid somewhere else thought of it before I did. But I never saw a text file on it, until I wrote it up. (that was back in 94 or 95). Use it or not. Just thought I would bring it up. heh..

kleptic:

I read an article about that sort of thing in 94 or 95, it sounds exactly like the one you mentioned, right down to the masking tape. There is one line from the txt that still sticks in my mind, it's something like "so make the masking tape about 12 inches long, roughly the length of my cock, so once you have my cock on the end of your dollar..." was that you? and if so, it was a really good file.

Yeah that was me.. Jam packed full of my early high school toilet humor.

Woz all the way guys. You also forgot to mention the fact that he invented Basic - afterall what good is a computer if it doesn't do anything? :)

But greatest hacks of *all* time, I would have to put my vote on Michelangelo(sp?) That guy there was about 500 years ahead of his time. But i think you guys were looking for a little more modern.

I dont know, I'd have to go with a group on this one and say the LOD hackers. I remember reading about them in some book a few years back, something about cutting off an entire continents telecomunications seems rather impressive (If I remember correctly it was Africa they cut off) But it now that I think about it I'm kinda skeptical, I've read about it in that book and a few websites that also spoke of the legends of evil hackers too so, no clue on that one.

well, also the whole LOD/MOD war/competition/fighting that was going on. That was pretty fun hearing the bullshit fly back and forth. Each trying to one up each other.

As much as they annoy me, I have to also bring up cDc for the invention of BackOrifice. It made Microsoft look dumb and changed their way of thinking about security. I think that making MS change their security philosophy is pretty groundbreaking.

I forgot to post about l0pht as well. They were quite kick ass. They rank fairly high in my book, not quite sure about the "greatest of all time" title, but worth mentioning at any rate.

:morph: I have to admit, I am a little disappointed at the response in this thread. :(

I really thought the forum members would be more excited and enthusiastic about cooperating on a group project like this which Epiphany graciously agreed to put into RF#4 with the names of everyone who submitted valid input. For those of you who did, I thank you.

:ranaway: At this point, there is very little response. :ranaway:

:flush: Epiphany, obviously we didn't get enough material, so perhaps you and I can flesh this out ourselves unless people decide to start adding to this again. Hopefully, ^bumping^ this back up will stimulate some renewed interest.

Well the 2600hz tone back in the day would of been completely useless here in aus, I believe it was possible to do they same thing here but with 2200hz instead.

I'm gonna have to agree with most ppl that Woz had the best hack

Linus Torvalds writing the first Linux Kernal.

Ken Thompson's cc hack now that was cool

Also i found info on the infamous Zap Here

Richard Stallman for creating the GNU project !

Tim Berners Lee for creating the WWW that we all know and love

Hmmm my two pennies in now

How about Jack Kilby and Robert Noyce for creating the integrated circuit :).

Im going to take robert morris on this one. Writing a worm that had such a profound effect on the way we all look at computer security. He loses a few points because he released it by accident :angry:

Reading of war of the worlds on the radio, dont remember the year but that was pretty amazing fooling all those people.

you know what, that is a GREAT EXAMPLE! I had not thought of that... The pinnacle of social engineering! :)

:overlord:

Reading of war of the worlds on the radio, dont remember the year but that was pretty amazing fooling all those people.

Would someoe care to give some background as to this, for everyone that doesnt know what happened? :wacko:

Actor Orson Wells read H.G. Wells' story "war of the worlds" on the radio and a lot of ppl freaked out. The story is about aliens invading England, and killing ppl and stuff like that, it's pretty sad ppl would fall for that, of course that was like 60 years ago, so nuff said

*edit* it's a good book btw*edit*