Alk3

Text to speech to audio file?

3 posts in this topic

Is there software that will use speech recognition to open a word document or text file and convert the text into an audio mp3 (or similar format)?

What I am trying to do:

Write notes while studying school course work

Create an audio file that contains those notes

Listen to my notes on the road while I drive.

I know there is probably something on the web about this but I just cannot seem to find it. I see that google translate has a way to create an audio file, but it seems that I would have to program an application to use the google text to speech api. Now I could possibly do this, but I am trying to find out if there is an easy way for someone else who is not tech savvy to do this.

Edited by Alk3

Is there software that will use speech recognition to open a word document or text file and convert the text into an audio mp3 (or similar format)?

What I am trying to do:

Write notes while studying school course work

Create an audio file that contains those notes

Listen to my notes on the road while I drive.

I know there is probably something on the web about this but I just cannot seem to find it. I see that google translate has a way to create an audio file, but it seems that I would have to program an application to use the google text to speech api. Now I could possibly do this, but I am trying to find out if there is an easy way for someone else who is not tech savvy to do this.

The easy way for me would be to run linux as a os, and use the festival engine for text to speech:-

http://www.xenocafe.com/tutorials/php/festival_text_to_speech/index.php

Then write a batch/shellscript to convert all notes left in a certain directory to audio then encode to mp3 beforehand and just copy to in car mp3 player of choice and use its navigation facilities.

Its not as technically brilliant, but it does cover the problem fairly easily. You could get it down to a couple of commands to run the job by hand too.