systems_glitch

Anyone running a conf bridge?

30 posts in this topic

That's why I've offered my confbridge up for use...it costs me less than $10/month to have 20 incoming channels on a single DID. The limiting factor there is our Internet connection's bandwidth.

I've decided to abandon the idea of hosting a voice bridge on real copper. The costs are just too excessive.

$700 sounds a little steep even for a whole T1. Did you try and get a quote from any of the local CLECs? They've got a pretty big presence now, even towns with under 10,000 people have a few CLECs. I can think of seven off the top of my head locally. If you mention you're using it for lots of inbound minutes, they might quote you for a little less.

Anyway, I'm a little puzzled why people don't just use the confs we have already. I've given out at least two high capacity bridges in this thread alone. I'd be surprised if they have anything besides copper running between them and the switch. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of us physically owning the bridge, but if you're shelling out $700 or even $20/mo for it, I'd think of something unique. Bell's Mind, for example, had Evan Doorbell recordings and an ANAC.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of us physically owning the bridge, but if you're shelling out $700 or even $20/mo for it, I'd think of something unique. Bell's Mind, for example, had Evan Doorbell recordings and an ANAC.

My PBX also serves my home and work telephones, voicemail, and as a general sandbox for playing with Asterisk. The mobile devices I usually carry also connects to it through SIP over an OpenVPN link, so they serve in the capacity of a cell phone (I don't have an actual cell phone). It's cheaper than a landline, and it's fun! I figured, why not 20 inbound channels for the price of one?

why not 20 inbound channels for the price of one?

I guess that's all relative to what you're using it for. The selective call forwarding/transfer functions on landlines has no channel limit other than what's available to the switch.

Edited by ThoughtPhreaker