Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
epew23

Best Bang for your Buck

5 posts in this topic

I just moved back into Philadelphia and unfortuantly Verizon Fios isnt offered in the low income housing haha. Xfinity is where its at apparently... I found that for the speed they offer its pretty expensive. I was able to get in the 25 mbs range on fios for about 48 a month.

My question is, however, Is 20 mbs down a good speed for gaming and streaming for netflix? If not what is the recommended.

Thanks binrev :-)

~5imp7y

I just moved back into Philadelphia and unfortuantly Verizon Fios isnt offered in the low income housing haha. Xfinity is where its at apparently... I found that for the speed they offer its pretty expensive. I was able to get in the 25 mbs range on fios for about 48 a month.

My question is, however, Is 20 mbs down a good speed for gaming and streaming for netflix? If not what is the recommended.

~5imp7y

You'll be A-OK at 20Mb/s for Netflix and gaming. I'd expect you could do both at the same time. (Different machines of course.)

~5imp7y

You'll be A-OK at 20Mb/s for Netflix and gaming. I'd expect you could do both at the same time. (Different machines of course.)

should be more than plenty..

i have a 15/5 connection on cable and it is plenty for my wife to play WOW while i am streaming netfilx at the same time.. and even use the ooma and laptop to be on here... i am sure that i still have bandwidth to spare..

yep yep should work fine, on my terrible connection i can game with like 250ms ping but its only 1mb for <15 seconds and 100k after that, the game client/server doesnt require much bandwidth since theoretically it only has to send to the server what buttons you press/what you click, and tell your computer what the npc's/other players around you have pressed/are doing. its not like its sending the files or anything.. you'd be good with a meg or so, just means you have extra, to say torrent at a throttled speed and still do anything else youd want.. like 5-10mbps atleast

Awosome. Comcast also addeed this option, 25 mbs when doing the norm (browsing gaming) and they bump me to 30mbs when downloading large files. Thanks all :-)