Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dragon1964

Puzzled with airodump-ng result

6 posts in this topic

I was playing with my Linksys "Test Dummy" today. I ran across something that has me puzzled. I was doing a scan with Airodump-ng and I saw another AP with a two part name "my WirelessNet11". I scanned with Kismet as well to see if it would show any differently. The scan did not reveal a special character.

Aireplay-ng returns a syntax error if you try to do a fake-auth to a two part name. And as far as my Linksys setup is concerned, a space is an illegal character. (Yes, I tried to do a fake-auth because I was curious). How did they get their AP to accept a two part name? Or am I just missing something?

I was playing with my Linksys "Test Dummy" today. I ran across something that has me puzzled. I was doing a scan with Airodump-ng and I saw another AP with a two part name "my WirelessNet11". I scanned with Kismet as well to see if it would show any differently. The scan did not reveal a special character.

Aireplay-ng returns a syntax error if you try to do a fake-auth to a two part name. And as far as my Linksys setup is concerned, a space is an illegal character. (Yes, I tried to do a fake-auth because I was curious). How did they get their AP to accept a two part name? Or am I just missing something?

all of my SSIDs are multiple words with spaces in between...

What type of AP are you using and what type of firmware does it have? Something as simple as adding a space to an AP's name can prevent you from using aireplay-ng on it? Or is there a work around when you encounter this situation? A two part AP name still returns a syntax error when I try to use it with aireplay-ng.

What type of AP are you using and what type of firmware does it have? Something as simple as adding a space to an AP's name can prevent you from using aireplay-ng on it? Or is there a work around when you encounter this situation? A two part AP name still returns a syntax error when I try to use it with aireplay-ng.

the old netgear that just crashed out on me (too lazy to go look in the drawer for the model number, but it was a super 108 a/b/g router... with stock firmware - SSID was "stealing wifi is illegal"

the netgear WRT54GS with stock firmware (oh how i wanted to put on ddwrt, but it would only handle micro) that i really do not use to log in, i just use it for extra wired ports in the living room - i change the SSID constantly trying to come up with something funny, or offensive always multiple words with spaces

my new netgear netgear n300 wnr2000v3 gives out 2 SSIDs, a main one, and a guest one (that can be isolated from accessing the LAN) put my domain name on the main one, the 2nd SSID I currently only have broadcast as guest, but will probably change it some time - thinking of perhaps setting up my "broken" netgear just to broadcast crazy shit... maybe if i can set it up with a VPN or proxy i might open it up with out security?

http://www.aircrack-...tc._in_ap_names

Scroll down near the bottom.

interesting stuff... sounds like it might be a good idea to add some spaces before and/or after the SSID, and perhaps a ! to make it more difficult for people to crack...

Cant you just use the BSSID? Much easier in making sure that you don't get random "invalid char..." errors...