Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
twirlz

cable tv still piped with cable broadband?

12 posts in this topic

does anyone know if basic cable is still piped through with broadband? i know Rax talked about this on RFA at the beggining of RFA but with how digital cable is i don't know if that is still the case. another reason i question this is since i have moved there was one time when my cable was disco and the tv still worked but the modem didn't, but in the past my modem and tv would still work even after they disco'd the digi cable.

Thanks

Disclaimer: I work with digital video (satellite, cable, terrestrial broadcast).

Some bandwidth (most of it) is allocated to analog channels, some more to digital channels, and finally what's left over is used for cable modem service. I don't know if there is dynamic or fixed provisioning (more or less bandwidth on the fly) due to VOD (Video-On-Demand) services but I think the cable modems are too dumb to deal with this.

The cable company can easily disable your access to either digital channels, or cable modem service, or both. Disabling analog service requires them to either have a remote video switch per customer (NOBODY has this) or to go to your house and disconnect it from the poll.

i called my cable company and was asking for prices and pulled a stank and just came out and mentioned about rumors of this being a fact and the person was very quick to say no that they don't pipe basic cable with cable modem.

ntheory: i knew that digi cable isn't piped through the cowax cable, but i do know that basic cable is piped always through the cable. so if the cable is connected then would if i did had cable modem they would have to connect the cable and then i would have both cable tv and cable modem for the price of broadband.

i don't know if that makes sence or not. correct me if im wrong

Now I'm really confused about what we're talking about.

Cable comes in on coax. The coax network is a bus topology (all nodes see the same thing). There is only one coax cable network.

Therefore all three are on the same wire (analog channels, digital channels, and cable modem).

They disable your digital channels by telling your card to stop supplying decryption keys to the MPEG-2 decoder. They disable your cable modem by not assigning you an IP address and by dropping all data that comes out of your cable modem at their router/data center.

I hope that clears something up. I don't want this thread to spin out of control to where we're talking about completely different things. :P

EDIT:

so if the cable is connected then would if i did had cable modem they would have to connect the cable and then i would have both cable tv and cable modem for the price of broadband

In some places (notably Albany, NY) you can order cable modem service with no cable TV service (analog or digital). What the cable company does is one of two things. 1) They verify that you have no TVs when they do the cable modem installation (this is very annoying) and leave analog TV channels in there. 2) They install a filter that blocks the analog TV portion of the signal that comes into your house. If you're willing to climb the pole these things are easy to remove.

sorry if you dont wont this post to go on but on your cable modem doesnt the network provider read your cable modems mac addres and if thay have you registerd to it you get broud band if not (DOS) so if you could program you mac address to the same as a subscirber than you get broudband

right?

I think you're asking if MAC spoofing works on cable modems.

I don't really know how that aspect of the system works. If they do use MAC addresses spoofing it could be a problem if you spoof the address of a machine on a different segment of the network.

i think MAC spoofing would work better with wifi (wardriving) as in MAC filtering along with WEP encyption. i don't think there is a way that anyone can "steal" cable modem, unless you splice the coax and have a modem of your own. even then when you sign on they ask you for your MAC address on the modem.

As I understand it, the analog channels are always there, the company just blocks them out with a filter (installed at the interface box on the side of the house in some areas...).

Hmm, I was actually wondering about this too, because recently my sister's boyfriend said something about splicing the coax to a friend's cable modem and taking part of the cable into the cable TV. That way they didn't have to actually pay for cable service as well. Is this a common thing that people do? I personally think paying for cable internet and cable TV is a pain in the ass.

splicing cable just for cable is easy the main thing is just get a amp for it or you ma get a shity signal if the coax is to long

I was just going to make a comment, I don't understand any of this enough to know why this does this or if its even related to the issue at hand...

I had a friend who's cable was recently shut off. One thing that was strange was, although the net didn't work, It still allowed and answered DNS requests.

Elimist, have they tried any other UDP protocols? This could be an interesting find.