sniper606

Whats desktops do you guys use?

37 posts in this topic

Just curious, trying to make conversation. As I stated in a previous post I recently switched from Fluxbox to LXDE and I like it a lot because it runs great on my low end system and it just works great too. So what do you guys use for a desktop and why?

usually crystal-fvwm or maybe its fvwm-crystal doesnt matter :p. obviously its fvwm so its light weight, but it doesnt look that bad and i like the silent hacker "recipie" as no start bar/left click menu just right click for terminal as thats all i really want..

[url="http://www.nongnu.org/ratpoison/"]Ratpoison[/url]. Floating window managers are essentially dead to me at this point, tiling is far more efficient for my usage. I chose ratpoison because I prefer the hands on approach to tiling (as ratpoison lets you tile for yourself rather than having predefined tiling layouts) and because I already was using screen (which ratpoison is modeled after) for my terminal sessions. RPWS makes ratpoison even more efficient. Edited by n3xg3n

I dropped LXDE and went back to Fluxbox, it seems thaty LXDE gets sluggish after the box has been running for a few days.

I like Beryl as a Windows Manager with Gnome. Just because it's pretty, I guess. On a lower-end machine I love Fluxbox! It looks cool, and is easy to easy to navigate.

I use xfce4 primarily for speed and the motif theme. It works well out of the box, and it supports window compositing. Gnome is always a viable candidate. Other ones I like are fluxbox, openbox, and windowmanager(GNUStep).
1 person likes this

[quote name='frogbong' timestamp='1305802177' post='358256']
I use xfce4 primarily for speed and the motif theme. It works well out of the box, and it supports window compositing. Gnome is always a viable candidate. Other ones I like are fluxbox, openbox, and windowmanager(GNUStep).
[/quote]

I used to use XFCE because it was light weight and I have low end hardware but anymore its almost just as bloated as Gnome so I quit using it. I'm a minimalist when it comes to computing. My philosophy is keep it simple. I don't even use a gui on my FreeBSD box, don't have one installed, its headless too, no monitor, I access it with ssh.
1 person likes this

awesome wm, when i used it for a first time, i was like wtf? how can this be useful? btw, now i can't use anything else. After awesome wm all others solutions seems slow and unpractical... try it, it's really awesome. if don't, then try again... you should like it.

Always been a big fan of Fluxbox. I also have Gnome installed along with all the desktop effects but the novelty wore off years ago. I just like the no frills desktop with my transparent terminal from which I can do most things and launch all applications.

Openbox with Tint2

I've been using it for a few years now. Well, openbox. Before I discovered tint2 (maybe a year ago) I was using PyPanel. It's really lightweight. If I cut off some of my extra services from bootup (uShare, Tor, Polipo) I'll be at the desktop sitting around 80mb of RAM usage.

I have used many different types of Window Managers but it seems that after using them all I am stuck on Xmonad. Im running archlinux and with the Xmonad twm running its super lightweight and works perfectly with my type of work. At first I couldn't stand twm's because i couldnt get my windows how i wanted them.. but after some getting used to there is no going back. xmonad ftw!

unity , pretty nice on my machine

I use GNOME classic. Classic because the current Ubuntu 11.04 has Unity and it kept reminding me of Windows 7 which I didn't like, so I switched it to classic.

GNOME to, couldn't get on with Unity. To be fair I gave up on it went it was first made default with Ubuntu, it's probably much more stable now, but none the less I like GNOME and see no reason to change.

I like tiling window managers like spectrwm. I also like iceWM. Its winoptions config lets you have a lot control over window placemant and size. Edited by haikuhacker

I kind of jump back and forth between Xmonad, MATE and KDE (yes, plasma is a bit overkill. But it`s the "everything usually just works desktop")
I`ve tried AwesomeWm tho', it`s pretty good. But i find myself wanting Xmonads way of tilling al the time.

Seeing as this thread is still going, I just moved away from Gnome a few months ago in favor of Openbox. Now I find that I really want to try something like Awesome.

On my main desktop though, nothing provides more eyecandy than Compiz running as a standalone window manager with some conky/lua work. SO MUCH SHINY.

Good old Fluxbox here. I've been working on getting some dockapps customized and/or rewritten for modern Linux kernels (ACPI monitoring dockapp, for example). I do use the XFCE terminal with Fluxbox tho, very good tabbed terminal with almost no dependencies.