GIJoe

Blacklisted 411

32 posts in this topic

http://www.blacklisted411.net/

Apparently another print magazine (stumbled upon it when looking at interz0ne site). It is supposedly sold in stores and all, but didnt know if anybody here had heard of it or know people behind it?

Nice find! I'll be ordering em.

Edit: Just found another magazine that was linked to from their site.

IRON FEATHER JOURNAL http://ironfeather.com/ifj16/

The site design sucks, click the anoying blinking buy button on the bottom right to order.

Edited by kizzle

Funny--I noticed a bit back that BL! 411 was back up--I got an issue of theirs back in like 1996 and it wa ssomewhat informative--if nothing else it was nice to have a print copy of some info I could take with me. At any rate, they were around, now theyre back, lets see if they can not go under this time.

!!*

yes, they were around back in the mid to late 90s. I have some issues of their old zines.

I tried IFJ also. It is not a hacking zine, it is a zine that prints occassional hacking-related topics. It is also a different size.

And BinRev is on their resources page. Interesting...

I noticed that I was gettinghnits frmo them in my log file a little while back....

I can't help but notice that their "nubie friendly" attitude sounds vaguely familiar. <_< But that's ok, it is a very good attitude to have and I support it.

I picked up a couple issues of this magazine back in 1995. The content seemed better than 2600 at the time, so I subscribed to it. But I never got a single issue, and neither did a couple other people I knew who had subscribed. This was before they disappeared off the face of the earth too. So I don't think I'll waste...err spend my money on a subscription, but maybe I'll pick up an issue if it looks good enough and can find it in a bookstore. It was a pretty good 'zine back in the day.

Nice find! I'll be ordering em.

Edit: Just found another magazine that was linked to from their site.

IRON FEATHER JOURNAL http://ironfeather.com/ifj16/

The site design sucks, click the anoying blinking buy button on the bottom right to order.

Iron Feather is awesome. I have three printed copies (1 duplicate), and one came with a 10" record. Vinyl > *

i ordered the latest issue over a month ago... still haven't gotten it. not replying to my emails either. anyone having the same problem?

Blacklisted 411 plagarized a lot of 2600 and phrack's content in the past, they reprinted articles claiming they were written by Blacklisted 411 staff and copied ads to make themselves more appealing to advertisers.. Emmanuel commented on this in CUD V7 #39

link http://venus.soci.niu.edu/~cudigest/CUDS7/cud739

They also took up the (most excellent) publication private line, who's main author could no longer provide in print copies. However, the new direction was not acceptable for Private line (best I can tell) so the original author changed it into an e-zine. http://www.privateline.com/

I have been discussing back issue sof blacklisted on the radio show lately. And I just recently noticed the letters section of the old issues suddenly have tons of 2600 flames and stuff in it, as well a the editorial mentioning 2600. It was obvious that there was some bad blood, but i did not know why.

Thanks for the links!

Edit: I ordered my currect issue 2 months ago and still have not gotten it either. I got my back issues though. at the time, he emailed me telling me they were getting them from the printers soon. I also sent him an article after some brief correspandance, but haven't heard from him since.

*shrug* I'll give them time.

How long have these guys been around anyway? On their website, under "about us" http://www.blacklisted411.net/who.html they say that this magazine started in 1983 as a collection of files distributed on a disk. The magazine disbanded in 1987, then resurfaced in 1994 as a print magazine, then went under again in 1999, and they have now resurfaced in 2003-2004. I am somewhat of a 'newbie' and have never heard of these guys before, so I do not know more than what is on their website.

Im not sure I trust them. I ordered a 1 year subscription, to give it a go... however a few days after I ordered and the cash cleared, I got an email saying I had to pay an ADDITIONAL like 11 dollars to cover shipping, which stated on the webpage was supposed to have been included when I "checked out".

since I used PayPal, it was either pay the money, or lose the 30$ I had already put in... all I have to say, for 4 issues, it better be worth 10$ an issue

anyways, I have no idea when im supposed to get the first issue, but until I get all 4 I dont trust their business practices.

it sounds like a load of crap! and what REALLY gets me is that they claim to be "The Official Hacker Magazine" :angry: . If i had to mark someting as that, it would have to be 2600. Becuase of all these bad reports, i would have to schmack someone if they actually payed for a copy of this bull shit! :growl:

They claim to be carried in barnes and noble. Mebe I'll read one when I'm there. And spill coffee on it and then leave.

i'd be ashamed of b&n if they carried their shit!

and i was there the other day and saw nothing of blacklisted411, and i live in a pretty large hacker community: orange county, ca

I picked up a copy of this magazine at a local Borders. I also have a couple of issues from 1998 that i picked up at the time at Tower Books and i also have the first two issues of THUD (i don't know if they did more issues than that). I was considering subscribing but based on what I've heard from people, I think I'll just spend the money on a BinRev subscription.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, it is confirmed that THUD (The Hacker's Underground Digest) is part of Blacklisted! 411. This is from the FAQ on the Blacklisted site:

Q: Will you be making THUD magazine again?
A: Yes, eventually we will start publishing THUD magazine again. Right now, we're focusing onĀ  Blacklisted! 411 magazine. Once we have distribution up to full swing and a little time has passed, THUD will be next on the list of things to do.

my father gets them sometimes... oh yeah im at someones house posting :ninja: shhh dont tell the chick im with is in the shower and I wasnt supost to get online

Blacklisted411 is fine except that I simply feel it is not labelled properly. The name itself "blacklisted 411" all by itself is a great self-descriptive title. It contains lots of articles on unusual topics. Some of them are hacking releated, but others are not. It has stories on conspiracy theories, electronics, government, and lots of unusual inforamtion. In and of itself, that is a good magazine. I simply do not think it should have that tagline "The official hackers magazine" because that implies that it is a hacking only zine, when it clearly is not. And if it is, what does that make "THUD"? Their "other hacking magazine"? :lol: If they marketed it emphasizing the "blacklisted" part of things, like a conspiracy theory magazine (which I think is more descriptive) then i think they would do very well. I have spoken with ZB about this at length and I guess they simply have other ideas and directions for the magazine than I would.

For the record, I still support the magazine. I even submitted an article to them. Try them out and see for yourself if you like it or not.

i have been subscribed to the magazine for about 3 months and i have got one of the magazines (the one with a person in handcuffs), its quite a good magazine but i have to pay extra for living in the u.k!

Barnes & Nobles dosent have it near me. Oh and phrack is the official hacker magazine. 2600 is the most badass, BinRev is the new skool, GBPPR is the old skool, and blacklisted is the town idiot :lol: . JK man blacklisted is fine.

Edited by counterspell

picked up their last issue, at a local bookstore here, right nexto the 2600, i had a bout 6 issues from back in 94/95, just before the last 2600 meeting i orginized my (bell system toolbox) full of the zines, found im missing 5 2600 issues between now and 1994, and the first issue since bl411 came back, and the first issue of binrev..

bl411 pays the best ive seen, for articles, and they tend to be ok stuff, all th emags have good and bad and sorta duh articles, but ive been able to find new stuff i didnt know in them so i feel its worth my money to support and to support my local news/book store..