heisenbug

FBI asks public for help breaking encrypted notes tied to 1999 murder

7 posts in this topic

Interesting:

Wonder why NCBE is repeated so many times... could it be a sequence of letters = a letter? The way the penmanship seems to jump in quality from chunk to chunk also leads my suspicions to start with that..

I noticed at least 3 letter blocks beginning and ending in T and E. Two of them were consecutive, the first two words starting what looks like a phrase. IDK much of anything about breaking encryption, but there are only so many words (if each letter block does represent a word, even) that begin and end with the same letters (T.E) with the same char count as depicted. And especially that would make sense to be the first two words of a phrase.

Also, there appears to a hyphen in one of the letter blocks on the fourth line (a two letter prefix in front of a work, like pre-something). But off the top of my head I cannot think of any two letter prefixes that are common to hyphenate.

EDIT: oh... after googling ex and a few more are common to hyphenate.

Edited by tekio

I noticed at least 3 letter blocks beginning and ending in T and E. Two of them were consecutive, the first two words starting what looks like a phrase. IDK much of anything about breaking encryption, but there are only so many words (if each letter block does represent a word, even) that begin and end with the same letters (T.E) with the same char count as depicted. And especially that would make sense to be the first two words of a phrase.

Also, there appears to a hyphen in one of the letter blocks on the fourth line (a two letter prefix in front of a work, like pre-something). But off the top of my head I cannot think of any two letter prefixes that are common to hyphenate.

EDIT: oh... after googling ex and a few more are common to hyphenate.

when i first saw this.. i assumed that the people on this forum would likely take a shot at attempting to crack this...

too bad there is not much financial motivation, as i assume if the professional cryptographers could not crack it it would have to be rather difficult.

wouldn't it be hilarious if he was a tech, and it was a list of serial numbers. Or if he was into old school gaming, and they were continue codes.

wouldn't it be hilarious if he was a tech, and it was a list of serial numbers. Or if he was into old school gaming, and they were continue codes.

That would be super funny.

I was kinda thinking somewhat along those lines. Like what if the guy is just super phsyco and it's just random gibberish that makes sense in his mind? I mean whoever wrote it, there is a good chance they kill strangers at random. So he's probably a few bricks short.........

That would be super funny.

I was kinda thinking somewhat along those lines. Like what if the guy is just super phsyco and it's just random gibberish that makes sense in his mind? I mean whoever wrote it, there is a good chance they kill strangers at random. So he's probably a few bricks short.........

it might have been a code for god mode... but i guess he entered it wrong...

should have tried Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start