Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
M_from_S

Cable Modem

4 posts in this topic

I've recently moved and have switched from using DSL for the past four years to a cable modem. The technician just came on Monday and got everything set up. I was reviewing the paperwork and saw the following information on 'signal levels' - can anyone explain?

Signal Levels :

Low + 3.1

Mid + 5.7

High + 6.7

Return + 4.1

Power Level at 44

These were all handwritten on my invoice by the technician, he did the testing in the field. I should of asked him but he was in a rush to meet a buddy for lunch...

Maybe someone will be able to get ultra-technical on this, but the cable system is basically a lot like DSL, which there's certain frequencies that are modulated in a way by the cable modem. Those signal strengths are "within spec" for data transmission.

A power spike on any of those frequencies will cause loss of integrity - or in some cases clear the way and open up your bandwidth. But I dont remember the exact significance of each frequency.

the signal levels are could be dBm levels (signal or noise?). the return could be the loss in dBm. the power level could be a reference to the power level of the cable modem. 1-100 scale?

just a guess.

a few cable modem links which might help find the answer

www.cablemodeminfo.com/cmbasicsx.html-ssi

www.iec.org/online/tutorials/cable_mod/index.html