Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bardolph

sata to esata cable

4 posts in this topic

I use one that will plug my external e-sata drive into the MoBo's sata slot.

that's what i tried : put the sata cable (7-6 pins ) to the 3.5 disk, then the esata side to an esata second cable and this to to the esata port of my laptop - but then i realized the 3.5 disk had no power :unsure:

that's what i tried : put the sata cable (7-6 pins ) to the 3.5 disk, then the esata side to an esata second cable and this to to the esata port of my laptop - but then i realized the 3.5 disk had no power :unsure:

I do not think E-Sata provides power (check an E-sata pinout guide to see if any of the pins supply power, I doubt they do). I know SATA has a different connector, connecting to the PSU to provide power. If your disk is solely powered from USB, and has no AC adapter, you'd need to look at the manual for the disk. I'm assuming there should be some way to power it with E-SATA, since the port is provided.

EDIT:You need to conenct the disk to the PSU, if it's not an external. Just reread your reply and it looks like you might be using an internal disk. Externals have there own power source through AC or USB.

Edited by tekio