Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BINREV SPYD3R

2600 NOW AVAILABLE ON THE KINDLE

14 posts in this topic

After hearing a lot of feedback from our readers, we're taking our first steps into digital distribution by putting the Autumn issue into Kindle format, allowing people all around the world to download the magazine onto their ebook readers.

http://www.2600.com/news/view/article/12021

After hearing a lot of feedback from our readers, we're taking our first steps into digital distribution by putting the Autumn issue into Kindle format, allowing people all around the world to download the magazine onto their ebook readers.

if you are having such problems with the terms for the subscription model of kindle/amazon - why not release it as a PDF file for purchase - this will cut kindle/amazon out of the loop for your profits, and will open up the digital files to other readers, something else that you are interested in doing, but not currently capable of...

DRM free PDF files are the way to go... i would recommend doing a test with this - sure it is a risk that people will just pass along the files with out paying for it... but i am sure that there are plenty of people in the community that are fans of 2600 that would pay for DRM free PDF files.. wouldn't that be more in the spirit of 2600 and the community that it serves?

if you are having such problems with the terms for the subscription model of kindle/amazon - why not release it as a PDF file for purchase - this will cut kindle/amazon out of the loop for your profits, and will open up the digital files to other readers, something else that you are interested in doing, but not currently capable of...

DRM free PDF files are the way to go... i would recommend doing a test with this - sure it is a risk that people will just pass along the files with out paying for it... but i am sure that there are plenty of people in the community that are fans of 2600 that would pay for DRM free PDF files.. wouldn't that be more in the spirit of 2600 and the community that it serves?

If you give out PDF's, especially in this community, it will severely cut into sales. If you look even now on TPB you won't find too many 2600 mags. Why? Scanning is work. Most of the ebooks and such that you see that you can download are in chm or PDF format, especially PDF as publishers use this format themselves. You rarely see scanned in copies, except with the elite of the elite of the pirate community...the comic book crews...who spend time scanning in their comics and aggregating them. These guys absolutely love comics and do it for preservation and the belief that no comic arc should never be unavailable to anyone. You don't see that so much with 2600.

So by going with kindle, they do jump into the e-book world which if you think about it is kinda late for a avant-guard hacking magazine while preserving their current subscribers and market with the ability to Increase their viewership by pulling in new viewers. I that if you do go digital this is the way to go. Kindle system is pretty sweet and is available on (I think now) every handheld platform. I downloaded mine to my Android Kindle app. It is cheap which makes it less worthwhile for a pirate, but increases the margin of the product vis a vis traditional works so that profit is still in-line with industry standards. Win-Win for everyone which is how technology is suppose to be utilized.

If you give out PDF's, especially in this community, it will severely cut into sales. If you look even now on TPB you won't find too many 2600 mags. Why? Scanning is work. Most of the ebooks and such that you see that you can download are in chm or PDF format, especially PDF as publishers use this format themselves. You rarely see scanned in copies, except with the elite of the elite of the pirate community...the comic book crews...who spend time scanning in their comics and aggregating them. These guys absolutely love comics and do it for preservation and the belief that no comic arc should never be unavailable to anyone. You don't see that so much with 2600.

So by going with kindle, they do jump into the e-book world which if you think about it is kinda late for a avant-guard hacking magazine while preserving their current subscribers and market with the ability to Increase their viewership by pulling in new viewers. I that if you do go digital this is the way to go. Kindle system is pretty sweet and is available on (I think now) every handheld platform. I downloaded mine to my Android Kindle app. It is cheap which makes it less worthwhile for a pirate, but increases the margin of the product vis a vis traditional works so that profit is still in-line with industry standards. Win-Win for everyone which is how technology is suppose to be utilized.

i agree that it is kind of late in the game for this type of publication to be going to a digital format - but then again, do not expect much more since they had their internet down several months ago and did not have any back up internet connections in place.. which is something else you would expect a tech oriented publication to be on top of.. i mean even if they had a DSL line for back up, it is only like $25-30/mo...

but i still stand behind my post that they should release it as a DRM-free PDF... sure there may/will be some piracy, but i think for the most part if you make the content worth the community wanting to support, than there will be more than enough people paying into subscriptions.. you could even come up with some type of incentive to make people want to buy a subscription..

Personally, I'd like to see DRM-free PDFs released when issues pass out of print. I know you can order back-issues through the 2600 site, but it'd be a lot nicer to be able to download them as PDFs. I'd have willingly spent a few dollars on a PDF to support 2600 when I wanted an issue from a few years back, rather than having downloaded it as a scanned PDF.

I'd also like to see the Binrev magazines available as PDFs...iirc, there was talk of this at some point in the past, but it never got done.

Personally, I'd like to see DRM-free PDFs released when issues pass out of print. I know you can order back-issues through the 2600 site, but it'd be a lot nicer to be able to download them as PDFs. I'd have willingly spent a few dollars on a PDF to support 2600 when I wanted an issue from a few years back, rather than having downloaded it as a scanned PDF.

I'd also like to see the Binrev magazines available as PDFs...iirc, there was talk of this at some point in the past, but it never got done.

yea... even waiting for the next issue to be available in print before releasing a DRM free PDF could help to reduce piracy... i think that for the most part people would pay for 2600 if it was distributed this way... and again, there could be some incentive built in to make people want to pay - perhaps paying customers could get access to an exclusive area of the website, or some other type of incentive... not that i think it would be needed, but it would be something to discourage just downloading the files with out paying for them...

but i still stand behind my post that they should release it as a DRM-free PDF... sure there may/will be some piracy, but i think for the most part if you make the content worth the community wanting to support, than there will be more than enough people paying into subscriptions.. you could even come up with some type of incentive to make people want to buy a subscription..

I agree with you along philosophical grounds. I am a subscriber. I'be bought both their books, Best of and Letters, as well as downloaded their kindle version. I do it to support the community despite it not being very helpful along technical grounds. In fact, the Letters are the most interesting part for me, followed by the editorial.

But, I consider myself for the most part an unrepentant pirate. Without getting into the justifications, piracy is waging war against the companies that profit more from an artist's work than the artist, and not an assault against the artist. That being said I know the community and many have lower ideals than we do as I and it seems you will gladly support the people we believe in with our loot. But from a realistic business perspective once you go DRM free PDF it is over. In fact the damage grows exponentially as you become more popular just like with music. Most of your new followers will get into the habit of downloading it rather than following the 'traditional' habit of purchasing a subscription. That's why Kindle is so massively popular it just satiates enough of our desire for more, more, more enough so that we don't seek alternate means. It does so by making the product cheaper.

But you know what? 2600 is asking for suggestions. They want people to email them about the new digital experience. It says so at the end of the kindle version. A great suggestion would be for them to eventually experiment with the DRM-free PDF version while still having the print and kindle versions and see if it really does cut into sales. Each community is different and so maybe the hacker community would out of a sense of nerd honor not pirate or cannibalize 2600 for their immediate gratification.

But I tell you, if you haven't checked out Kindle maybe you might want to check it out. It has a PC version. I use it on my Android. Not only are the warez cheaper than normal, usually 50% cheaper they "store" it for you in perpetuity. So if you ever lose your kindle, or computing device that has it you can still gain access to what you bought. That is an added service. Like I said as a pirate, the Kindle paradigm really appeals to me.

I agree with you along philosophical grounds. I am a subscriber. I'be bought both their books, Best of and Letters, as well as downloaded their kindle version. I do it to support the community despite it not being very helpful along technical grounds. In fact, the Letters are the most interesting part for me, followed by the editorial.

But, I consider myself for the most part an unrepentant pirate. Without getting into the justifications, piracy is waging war against the companies that profit more from an artist's work than the artist, and not an assault against the artist. That being said I know the community and many have lower ideals than we do as I and it seems you will gladly support the people we believe in with our loot. But from a realistic business perspective once you go DRM free PDF it is over. In fact the damage grows exponentially as you become more popular just like with music. Most of your new followers will get into the habit of downloading it rather than following the 'traditional' habit of purchasing a subscription. That's why Kindle is so massively popular it just satiates enough of our desire for more, more, more enough so that we don't seek alternate means. It does so by making the product cheaper.

But you know what? 2600 is asking for suggestions. They want people to email them about the new digital experience. It says so at the end of the kindle version. A great suggestion would be for them to eventually experiment with the DRM-free PDF version while still having the print and kindle versions and see if it really does cut into sales. Each community is different and so maybe the hacker community would out of a sense of nerd honor not pirate or cannibalize 2600 for their immediate gratification.

But I tell you, if you haven't checked out Kindle maybe you might want to check it out. It has a PC version. I use it on my Android. Not only are the warez cheaper than normal, usually 50% cheaper they "store" it for you in perpetuity. So if you ever lose your kindle, or computing device that has it you can still gain access to what you bought. That is an added service. Like I said as a pirate, the Kindle paradigm really appeals to me.

i am not much of a book reader, and prefer my magazine subscriptions in print form, so that i can read them anywhere - especially where there is no computer access or where having a nettop, or laptop on my lap gets too hot (toilet, public transportation, etc) but as most of my publications are going all online, i have not been reading them much lately... telephony magazine became connected planet, and now no longer publishes a print magazine, since they have gone all online, i rarely get a chance to read it any more, so i have been interested in getting an e-reader, and the kindle seems to be the one to get... having 2600 available on the kindle is a bonus, but i need to find out if other publications that i am interested in reading is available on it... what would make the choice a no brainier would be if I could get user manuals for various systems (VoIP, PBX, etc...) if this is possible, then perhaps when i have some disposable income i might pick one up..

i as probably just about anyone who has a computer has had my fair share of pirated content come my way... most of the content is not worth my money... but for the content that i respect i to go out and legally purchase (example, i am a huge pearl jam fan, while i do enjoy a leaked song before an album is released, i normally wait for release day to purchase a CD from them - and have purchased just about all of their commercially available material, with the exception of all the bootlegs that they release)

i do think that information should be free... and i do not like to pay for software, but there are some software packages that i found valuable, and have purchased (beyondTV being one of the best windows based DVR programs, and Xpadder, to control my mouse with an xbox controller being 2 of the most valuable software titles for my HTPC IMO)

This is great news. I love my kindle. It is one of the best devices I have purchased in years. The DRM issues are really not that big a deal because it only takes 30 seconds to convert the file. It is pretty simple to convert epubs and upload them to the kindle. My favorite thing about the device is being able to download any book I want in less than a minute. It has been a few years since I have picked up a 2600 zine...I really miss going to meetings.

I think they should make the digital version free, and just suck it up and sell ads. As long as the ads are tech/security/stickingittotheman related I doubt anyone would care.

Agreed Security related ad's wouldn't be bad sure you'd get to many big biz ones thou. Rather see some Home Brew little guy selling stuff and of course can get tons of Hosting Companies I'm sure to pay (go after Shell/Seed Hosting for ad's) DRM-Free PDF all the way!

Edited by binjinx

http://linuxoutlaws.com/podcast/174

I came across this podcast at hacker media. Anyways I thought it was pertinent to this topic. The guys at Linux outlaws go into one of the best reviews of the the kindle and talk about drm issues and PDFs.

Given the topic, and with neither encouraging this or directly linking to it ... it's probably worth pointing out that gbppr *really* hates 2600 and has been putting the pdfs online forever. A little google fu for his handle and a 2600 archive should bring up whatever sites he's mirrored on now. I just googled and it looks like he's got them all up - even the fall 2010 issue.

I don't know if anyone ever bothered torrenting them but, Insaneautomata says a few are up at TPB. I'd bet the ones that are there were either gbppr or a reader of his digital copies.

Given the topic, and with neither encouraging this or directly linking to it ... it's probably worth pointing out that gbppr *really* hates 2600 and has been putting the pdfs online forever.

Girlfriend, upon reading: "wow, that's on level with The Monarch...is he /arching/ 2600?"