Sn0w

Feasibility of repairing a scanner?

9 posts in this topic

So I bought a scanner (RS Pro-164) off of eBay that was sold as parts/not working. Unfortunately however it did not say why it wasn't working, what had happened to it, or whatever. So I was wondering if this (fixing it) was in fact a terrible idea or are there some steps I can follow to find what made it die in the first place?

What tools would I need? Multimeter? Soldering Iron? Etc.

I haven't received it yet, but am planning on getting tools in anticipation of the attempt to fix it, lol.

Suggestions/comments appreciated

Turns out nothing is wrong with it, everything on it works fine. Pro-164 only 24$! Now I wish I'd bought the other one too, lol.

Turns out nothing is wrong with it, everything on it works fine. Pro-164 only 24$! Now I wish I'd bought the other one too, lol.

nice... i am jealous..

Also picked up a Uniden Bearcat BC8500XLT for 25$ and a RS Pro 404 for 20$ not too shabby imo - now I just want a frequency counter and a scanner with a super wide band that has good computer logging/ recording capability... oh and an awesome antenna to put on the roof!

Edited by Sn0w

Now I have a possibly broken Pro-163 (40$) coming, I wonder what the odds are that it's fine? :biggrin:

If it is at least I'll have an AC adapter for my 164!

Well I also got a Pro-404, it is pretty well fried. I have no idea what happened to it, but it appears to be centered around the computer jack (PC/IF?) and one small chunk of ash around the battery area - maybe someone tried to charge it through the port or something.

1000693e.jpg

Cleaned it up a bit.

1000696e.jpg

The Pro-163 on the other hand is in immaculate condition, no dirt, no burns, nothing on the PCB at all - looks like a champ. Although on plugging it in... nothing, no power whatsoever, not sure if it's the power supply or what.

photo00091.jpg

Edited by Sn0w

Damn, where are you finding all these good deals?

Around here people are selling crusty old 23 channel CBs for $100+.

BTW, that PRO-164 has Signal Stalker, which would be my main reason for wanting one.

Trade secret :D where are you from? I could keep an eye out if you want something specific.

I have the 163 and 164 now, but I haven't figured out what's wrong with the 163 yet. I think the Pro 404 is fried and a nogo, but the 163 looks in awesome condition - PCB and all. I think I'm going to take it to RS and see if I can use one of their power supplies and hopefully that's all that's wrong, it'd be a sweet fix.

Edited by Sn0w

Went to radio shack and had them try the power cord on another unit, didn't power up the other unit so they got a new p/s out of the back and tried that - it powered up both of them. Wooo! They sold me a new one for 20$, bam fixed!