Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vooduHAL

All I can say is, Holy Shit

20 posts in this topic

This shit happens every few years.

Some developer: "Hey guys! Check it out! I can develop a THREE DIMENSIONAL INTERFACE for this computer that will totally rock your world"

Users: "Wow, navigating a computer with the same limitations as my meatbody sucks ass! Lets go use a tried and true 2d interface that allows me to access the same shit 10 times faster because I don't have to fucking WALK through the interface."

Some developer: "Oh shit, now I see why the tried and true 2d design principles have been in use since the dawn of computing. Me and my entire development team are now the laughingstocks of the computing world. I will now go hide under a rock so people will not laugh at me."

The problem with that is, I think most user who confine themselves to using 2D environments that they are used like the creative to see how useful it could be.

you are both wrong..... <cliche> IT'S THE HARDWARE, STUPID </cliche>

the reason that 3 dimentional interfaces fail miserably on modern computers, is that they arent realy actualy 3-D. the interface may be designed to work in actual space, how it is still being projected onto the same TWO-DIMENTIONAL SURFACE (crt monitor, lcd flat-panel, digital projector, what ever, i dont care it is all 2-d)... and you still have the same 2 dimetionaly oriented devices to interact with it.

untill the hardware catches up, and these boys are able to back up their shiny ass whohoo 3-d interface with like a proper holographic projector, or something that can produce decent quality images in full stick your arm in the middle of it and fiddle with it 3d, along with an interface that allowsyou to interact with at least as little thought as the keyboard and mouse take, the 3D interface is doomed to a grisly but inevitable fate....

Computers at the momnent are 2 dimentional on a fairly basic level... untill this changes sory folks, thanks for trying, have a nice life, it just isnt gona hapen...

Yeah Jack. Its going to be totally awesome when you have to jog for an hour to navigate a website! 3D images projected into realspace are exactly how I want to navigate fark, binrev, etc.

I can't think of any desktop environment stuff I'd want to do in 3d. Gaming, sure. Video, sure. In the meantime I am pretty happy being able to navigate my computer entirely by keyboard. The inclusion of a joystick in the equation demands another hand, and my past attempts at growing another hand were all failures.

So I guess it is the technology. When technology can grow us new limbs to be able to navigate interfaces like this quickly then sure, I'll use it. Otherwise I'll stick with my current interfaces thank you very much.

I dont think I would want to use M$ program under a 3d enviro...thats alot of room for spam to fit. And since they cant manage resources on a 2d enviro I'm betting 300gb or RAM would be needed to run word under 3d...

O and about the 3rd arm thing...I grew one once but it started to slap me alot so I had to cut it off :growl: .

ERROR!

Sun Microsystems has been working on a 3d interface for a while...I think it's called Looking Glass, or something like that

you guys are crazy if you don't think this is kool as hell. I wouldn't classify this as "true" 3rd dimension, but it is still pretty sweet. It is more like 2 1/2 dimensions, in so far as it allows things to be pushed to the sides and more appropriately, LAYERED on MULTIPLE flat dimensions. In-other-words it is an array of 2 dimensional desktops.

But teh fact that some serious hardware will be needed is for sure. And this is only the short future of the desktop. Who knows whe distant future holds.

you guys are crazy if you don't think this is kool as hell. I wouldn't classify this as "true" 3rd dimension

lol, of course not, your screen is 2 dimensional, you can only give the illusion of 3 dimensions

, and my past attempts at growing another hand were all failures.

That's because you have to grow the arm first. After that, it's all down hill.

That interface rocks. With a couple large monitors, it could prove useful for a development environment.

I hate to use a Tom Cruise movie, but I think that "Minority Report" showed the usefulness of a 3D GUI. Even if it's projected on a 2D surface, when combined with natural hand movements, the ability for one person to manage a lot of data/information goes up.

Did anyone catch Sun's CEO the end of last year declaring that Sun would take 10% of the desktop OS market this year?

Sun Microsystems has been working on a 3d interface for a while...I think it's called Looking Glass, or something like that

Hehe, that's what the video is about.

Of course you can. Mplayer and even a linux real client.

Well I have mplayer, not sure if I have the rm codec though, last time I tried one it didn't work, *shrug* I'm too lazy to try it again anyway

it looks neat from what i've seen of the video, but i can only watch the first 2 minutes before the video starts to go south. it freezes the picture while the audio keeps going, and when it does play video it's slow and pixel-y. is it the video at fault or do i need to look into my settings some more? :cuss:

Its the videos fault. I've checked it out on a few machines. It seems to work on half of them, regardless of net connection speed. Speed settings seem to help a little bit (either up or down) and I think it has something to do with the version of realplayer you are running, other than that its just a crappy server serving a poorly optimized video.

i had to wait quite a while for mine to 'buffer'.

StreamBox VCR is what I use to deal with shitty real media streams. it appears that this stream has a very short, very finicky timeout. that said, on my college connection, i AM drawing 1.9 mbps from it when it works .

Edited by masakari098