epew23

Chrome vs other Browsers

16 posts in this topic

I have been using firefox for about 6 years on windows, mac osx, and Linux, but i hear now that maybe chrome is better? Seeing that really cool potato sommercial made me want to download it. Before i do i just wanted to get your opinion on the matter. I am probably going to run speed tests on both and see if i get a difference. Which do you prefer.

Oh and i know that opera supposadly can handle more load but i have never used or know anyone who uses it, plus is it supported in Linux?

Cool image:

nine_tab_load.png

Here are speed tests.

CHROME!

Firefox

Edited by 5imp7y

Opera does support Linux, or at least they did back in the 90's. Back then there was Netscape (horrible Linux version), Konqueror (Javascript was really off on this), and Opera. I'm sure there were a few more, but those were the best. IMO Opera reigned supreme back then.

I personally like Firefox. But I do run Chrome on my netbook, and on laptops when not plugged in. It just seems a lot more "snappy" when on low powered machines and laptops that throttle back the CPU and graphics when on battery power. Now that browsers are starting to use GPU's for acceleration, having a good browser like Chrome is great for these portable devices with less graphics power.

i do not see why you would need to ask around before installing a browser on your system... it does not take long to download and install...

but here is my 2 cents...

i used chrome for about an hour.... i installed it when it first came out - and there was little to no support for most streaming video formats, which is why i gave up on it..

i use opera mostly for when i am looking for torrents because it has a built in torrent client... this way i do not need other software just for torrents... and when i am done, i just need to close the browser, not remember to close some program hidden in the task bar somewhere...

i use firefox as my main browser, but it has become very slow lately... and it seems that every time i update it something else breaks on the software, somewhere around 2 updates ago i lost divx functionality.. i have uninstalled and redownloaded and reinstalled the divx software several times with no luck, and firefox has been pestering me that there is another update that i should do again...

i have tried seamonkey - but it reminded me too much of netscape navigator an all-in-one internet application (browser, mail client, html editor, etc) intrigues me.. it just does not seem to be that great IMO....

I used Firefox long enough to feel a little guilty when I changed to Chrome. But Chrome is my favorite browser now.

I agree with johnnymanson-except for the guilty part :)

I just don't trust G00gle enough to switch or even try Chr0me. :unsure:

It's the extensions for FireFox which make me stick with it.

Vimperator makes firefox worth it for me. I know that there are some clones for Chrome, but I just haven't gotten around to trying them.

I use Chrome on Windows, Firefox on Linux, and (when I get one) Safari on Mac.

It's the extensions for FireFox which make me stick with it.

Amen to that! Google has a conflict of interest with allowing certain kinds of extensions. They can hurt their ad revenue. A few extensions that make me stick with firefox are Adblock Plus, Flashblock, and NoScript. These have prevented so many annoyances and infection attempts that I refuse to switch to a browser that doesn't have them. I do want Firefox team to get process sandboxing built in a bit faster. I have useful mechanisms for dealing with browser exploits for now, so I tolerate this. Chrome's architecture is based on Opus Palladium, probably the only secure web browser ever made. (Google used to host it, maybe still do). IE relies on Windows Integrity Control. Firefox is architecturally deficient and needs improvement. Firefox's bloat and lack of speed are also annoying me these days, though. Just a few years back, we were bragging about how much faster it was. Times change.

Opera does support Linux, or at least they did back in the 90's. Back then there was Netscape (horrible Linux version), Konqueror (Javascript was really off on this), and Opera. I'm sure there were a few more, but those were the best. IMO Opera reigned supreme back then.

I personally like Firefox. But I do run Chrome on my netbook, and on laptops when not plugged in. It just seems a lot more "snappy" when on low powered machines and laptops that throttle back the CPU and graphics when on battery power. Now that browsers are starting to use GPU's for acceleration, having a good browser like Chrome is great for these portable devices with less graphics power.

You can get Opera for Linux. I have it running on my Ubuntu 10.04 box. I still very much like it today, more so than Firefox. Still though, none for me matches Chrome, which just feels faster.

Switched to Opera a few months back from firefox (just a bit curious to try it). I haven't switched back since. Chrome is nice, but it's not for me.

I just don't trust G00gle enough to switch or even try Chr0me. :unsure:

http://code.google.com/chromium/

If you don't trust them, then check the source code, and build from source.

I'll have to look into it, however I still have an innate distrust of Go0gle.

Edited by FlamingFox

meh my internet is slow it takes like 1/4-1second to load a page so webbrowser makes no difference in speed, inless i use text/ opera to get the super low quality images which is obviously much faster. and for security it doesnt really matter lol, i mean if running windows have like avg running, anything google knows about for exploits on ie or w.e. avg knows as well and instantly stops it, or running linux. pretty much just use firefox/ie mostly because some programs require ie for some operation, which firefox is not always compatible. but again makes absolutly no difference in speed for me because the bottle neck is the isp not my web browser. + theres the google being overly creepy in their "collecting" of information which makes me detest them/android to no end. i mean if you want to use the store, you have to send all your contacts to your google account/there server. + there stupid chrome os that they had. like there trying to turn everyones computers into thin clients or something,