Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lethargic

Is there a cheap C++ program?

12 posts in this topic

Hello BR,

I decided to jump into learning programming and decided to go with C++ , I understand this is a harder language compared to python or C#.

I purchased a book to start learning, but I was wondering what program I should buy to write C++ with. Is there a cheap version / nockoff version you would suggest? I really do not want to pirate anything.

Thanks for the help,

Lethargic

The standard for Windows seems to be Visual Studio. The Express edition is free. For Linux gcc (or g++) will work which I use with Eclipse for larger projects.

What does the book suggest? There is usually a chapter or two which deals with setting up the environment.

Edited by phr34kc0der

If you're on Windows then just use Visual C++ Express, it's free and it will fit your needs. Otherwise, if you're in university, you probably have free access to the full-blown version of Visual Studio.

I use either gcc or mingw with codeblocks, I haven't run into any major problems with it.

llvm+clang is starting to pickup steam and will be replacing GCC in OS X and FreeBSD in the near future. It has some really nice features and if you're not in a windows environment should check it out.

So many choices, thanks everyone for the help.

Edited by Lethargic

Bloodshed softwares Dev-c++ Started and ended on it.\

(btw this was my 400th post)

Edited by 5imp7y