Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hacnslash

ssh frontend?!

13 posts in this topic

ok, i am desperately looking for an ssh frontend for linux. Yes I am a lazy son of a bitch and i use ssh so much on my network that the command line has been getting in the way...kinda. I've searched google far and wide and maybe im just a retard, but i can't find one...so if you got any links, post em, im really needing an ssh fronted...for linux

No, PuTTY has been ported for linux

hmm thats news to me... i didnt know that.

got a link?

so maybe I'm just a noob who knows nothing, but aren't you using ssh to connect to a CLI anyhow? so what if you start off in a CLI to begin with. if your window management software can't handle multiple open terminals maybe you should considering switching to a more effective window management software.

I only state this because I fail to see how type "ssh user@host" in a terminal could take more time than clicking on some menu item (or icon if you for some reason run a window manager that has them), and either clicking on a stored username/host name pair or entering the USER and HOST. If you plan on storing your password in this GUI frontend, you may just want to look into using certificates for ssh, which you can find plenty of good docs on how to setup

If this is all because on your local network you are tired of typing in an IP address, I can only suggest running a local DNS server. Its a good idea anyhow, if you set the DNS server up to cache as well (trivial) you won't make as many DNS qurries thereby saving some amount of bandwidth, thou far less than wasted by other frivolous uses of the net.

If it is about typing out IP's, then why not simply edit your /etc/hosts file and add a name for it thats easy to remember?

I don't connect to enough different hosts to take advantage of it, but the idea of having an "address book" of sorts is appealing.