Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
aguitarmn

New to the linux world. I have a few ???

14 posts in this topic

Hello. I am pretty computer savvy...with Windows. I know just about nothing about Linux. I tried messing around with Ubuntu a few months ago, but that was through Virtual Box. And from not having all the resources from my PC it ran like crap and I got discouraged and just got rid of it. I have been reading about Backtrack and I am intrigued. Since my wife is the primary user of our laptop she won't let me do a dual boot on it. I have a HP 110 Netbook and I have no idea on how to install it on it or at least boot with the program and try it out before I install (if that's possible with netbooks). I ran the disc in my laptop and I was able to mess with it a little. So here to my questions. How would I install or at least run it on my Netbook and what would I need? I don't have much money so I would like to do this the cheapest way possible.

I was able to install Win 7 on here through the network. But I've tried that and it didn't work...Maybe I did something wrong.

Oh and how do I find out if my wifi adapter supports packet injection? I have a ralink RT2860 on my netbook and I have a broadcom on my laptop and I know that the broadcom doesn't. Also I went to newegg or tigerdirect and when I was browsing through the USB wifi adapters and it doesn't say if they have or don't have that feature. So how do I find out what one's do or don't support packet injection?

Thanks!

Haven't installed BT for a while but IIRC winsetupfromusb worked fine. Basically I installed it from a USB stick as I do all OSs on my netbook.

The ralink rt2860 doesn't support injection, trust me I've been down that road! XD You just might be able to install rt2500 and use it instead though. To find out if your cards drivers can be patched to support injection just visit the aircrack-ng site and look up driver compatibility. I personally use Unetbootin (here) to install OS' live to a flash drive. You could use that :)

If your asking how to install Linux without a cd drive you can try Unetbootin. It allows you to install Linux from a USB drive. Ubuntu provides a program called wubi which allows you to install via Windows. It does a weird emulation thing so you'll lose some speed but it has the advantage of installing Linux to a file and allowing installation/uninstallation (dual boot) via Windows which is pretty cool.

I know you want to do this on the cheap.. but the ALFA usb wifi adapter injects on Ubuntu 10.4 out of the box. And its sensitivity is pretty good too. Not bad for around $35 bucks.

If one is new to Linux, it might be a good idea to hold off on jumping into BT right away.

At any rate maybe this thread might help

If one is new to Linux, it might be a good idea to hold off on jumping into BT right away.

At any rate maybe this thread might help

That might be. But there are some features of BT that would probably be useful. I am pretty good at winging it. I'll just do a lot of research and figure it out.

No one ever showed me how to work with Windows. I did a lot of research and just...winged it.

since backtrack 4 it's been based on debian, so as long as you can get it installed and running, you should be able to figure stuff out.

since you'll probably use the terminal at least once, here's some commands to start off with: man, sudo, apt-get, apt-cache, init, exit, cd, ls, less, cat, ifconfig and iwconfig. most importantly, "man [command]" will pull up the manual page for [command], so if you're not sure what switches a command has or what it even does, you can always use man to find out.

aside from that, if you run into problems i'm sure you can just ask us, or find a solution via google.

since backtrack 4 it's been based on debian, so as long as you can get it installed and running, you should be able to figure stuff out.

since you'll probably use the terminal at least once, here's some commands to start off with: man, sudo, apt-get, apt-cache, init, exit, cd, ls, less, cat, ifconfig and iwconfig. most importantly, "man [command]" will pull up the manual page for [command], so if you're not sure what switches a command has or what it even does, you can always use man to find out.

aside from that, if you run into problems i'm sure you can just ask us, or find a solution via google.

Thanks. I really appreciate the help.

Also if you plan on writing your own code, or installing stuff from source:

sudo apt-get install build-essential

Will install a bunch of useful tools (like gcc) on a Debian machine.

I was on the BT irc channel the other day and someone sent me this. It's on dealextreme, which doesn't make me too happy, but it works out of the box with aircrack and is only about $20. Just something to consider seeing as you're on a tight budget.

Edited by TheFunk

I was on the BT irc channel the other day and someone sent me this. It's on dealextreme, which doesn't make me too happy, but it works out of the box with aircrack and is only about $20. Just something to consider seeing as you're on a tight budget.

I ended up buying a Netgear WG111v2 from ebay for $10. I just got it today and I'm going to test it out. I also got a 4gig USB drive. Will that be enough. They were $10 at Walmart.

Okay, I got the right thread this time, The first post I made in the "Newbie Diving into Linux" was meant to go in this thread again folks I am sorry about this I don't mean to confuse anyone... I am only trying to help new people to linux with things I have learned from my own experience with using Linux.

I bought one of these and I must say that it's definitely worth the money.