ironfar

Harddrive and Laptop Wipe software?

14 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but what does everyone use to wipe clean their harddrives or laptops ?

Hi All,

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but what does everyone use to wipe clean their harddrives or laptops ?

ccleaner has been discussed on here before, and is a program that i have been using myself mostly to keep my registry clean but can do upto something like 36 passes when wiping a drive...

i've never had to myself, but i hear a pass or two with dd if=/dev/null or something will do it.

ccleaner is great for wiping traces from a windows machine. Just make sure that you have it set to 'zero' the sectors instead of just deleting them.

If you need to zero your whole hard drive I would use DBAN live boot cd or equivilant.

ccleaner is great for wiping traces from a windows machine. Just make sure that you have it set to 'zero' the sectors instead of just deleting them.

If you need to zero your whole hard drive I would use DBAN live boot cd or equivilant.

i use dban a lot at work and its pretty good for wiping drives. takes a bit but its worth it in the end.

i use dban a lot at work and its pretty good for wiping drives. takes a bit but its worth it in the end.

another good on is @Active Kill disk

+1.

Good ole Darik's Boot And Nuke. Been using it for years.

If you're looking to securely wipe your HD, you can't go wrong with DBAN

Hiren's BootCD works great. I'm a fan of Active KillDisk.

Hiren's BootCD works great. I'm a fan of Active KillDisk.

Hiren FTW

Hi All,

The best way to deal with hard drive security is to use full disk encryption. I remember reading a paper by academics studying data cleansing for US Govt purposes. They mentioned all these techniques to destroy information on various media, often destructively. These were interesting but the most interesting thing was at the very beginning. They said that there are two approaches to sanitizing media: 1) removing sensitive data from the media; 2) ensuring sensitive data never touches the media. If you use good quality full disk encryption, then you need the key to access the data. Loosing/destroying the key = erasing the data. Hence, just use full disk encryption with a strong password and simply forget it when you're done with the disk. Nobody will be able to extract data from the hard drive unless they find a weakness in one of the ciphers or modes of operation that's directly exploitable.

You can also use a Linux distro that boots from read-only media, uses RAM-based storage, and saves persistent data in a TrueCrypt volume on the hard disk. That's how I do it if I'm working with extremely sensitive data & don't have full disk encryption. Wiping hard drives and little traces of information throughout a computer is so risky that you should use FDE instead. It's more reliable.

i've never had to myself, but i hear a pass or two with dd if=/dev/null or something will do it.

Rather dd if=/dev/zero. /dev/null is a black hole, and is not providing any data.

From Wikipedia:

/dev/null or the null device is a special file that discards all data written to it (but reports that the write operation succeeded) and provides no data to any process that reads from it (yielding EOF immediately).

Ditto. And for free space on a nix machine I use the shred command.