nyphonejacks

$35 tablet on the way?

10 posts in this topic

Looks like India's latest technological pipe dream, like last year's $10 laptop or the Tata Nano automobile, originally promoted with a projected sticker price of $700 (the cost has since been raised to $2500 and it hasn't even hit the showrooms yet).

So yeah, I appreciate the wishful thinking of low-cost digital technology for the developing world. But $35 won't even cover the the unit's batteries, let alone touchscreens, SSD storage chips, or development, production and distribution costs.

Looks like India's latest technological pipe dream, like last year's $10 laptop or the Tata Nano automobile, originally promoted with a projected sticker price of $700 (the cost has since been raised to $2500 and it hasn't even hit the showrooms yet).

So yeah, I appreciate the wishful thinking of low-cost digital technology for the developing world. But $35 won't even cover the the unit's batteries, let alone touchscreens, SSD storage chips, or development, production and distribution costs.

The comments on the article from Fast Company are awesome. The original article ended with something to the effect of it being made dung beetles and bindis, but they edited it out, but there is much funnier stuff in there. It's ultimately stupid, though because they start quoting prices on components as if the manufacturer was only buying one piece.

Look at it like this, if the total cost (to manufacture and distribute) is $34 and they sell one to everyone in India... How many people are there in India, like 50 trillion? That's bank!

And if the Tato is going to cost $2500 in India, but $8,000 (I've read up to $18,000) in the US, then I can very easily see a tablet being sold in India for $35.

As for the $10 laptop, this is it. They decided to go tablet instead, and now they're saying $35.

Edit: Wait, sorry, from Wikipedia:

The Guardian reported it would be sold in India for 500 rupees (£7.25) ($10 U.S.). [1] However, the BBC claimed that the above quoted price was a mistranslation, and the true price is actually said to be 5,000 rupee (£72.59) ($100 U.S.)
Edited by decoder

It looks either too good to be true or will be total crap.

But if it isn't too good to be true and it's halfway decent, I might get one.

My money's on "too good to be true." Like I said, the cost of materials is bound to be at least 5X that.

hey you can get a netbook for $64.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834320001

if you had less plastic making it tablet not having hinge/keyboard/touchpad you could probably buy one of those touchscreen things you put on a lcd from deal extreme :P

bah... no HDMI (expected) and no VGA (unexpected)

I have been considering replacing my HTPC with a nettop, but at $65 i thought this might be a decent replacement unfortunately it does not have any video outputs...

does look like a good price point for some other project, if i can come up with one... but then again, the 4 or 5 computers sitting in my closet are on hold for some type of projects that i have no idea what to do with yet (at least one is going to be a VoIP PBX, possibly asterisk)

maybe theres a possability of debstrapping that akarm netbook. too bad its on android Xp

Let's see them keep it at $35 with a halfway decent screen and able to do 3d acceleration like the iPad and other tablets can do. For $35 it's pretty cool, but the fresh rate of the screen and the fact that it's not multitouch are the two things right off the bat that kill it for me.