Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
10nix

Old School

10 posts in this topic

Well, my Grandfather passed away some years ago and my Dad had saved some things for me that he thought I'd like. I was going through some stuff, and came across a folder of photos. My Grandfather used to design and build amplifiers and test equipment for Western Union Telegraph Company for early implementations of inter-city Microwave communications, and other communications like inter-city fax. These are the photos of various revisions of things he was working on:

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

I really enjoyed your photos. Vacuum tubes were on the way out when I started learning about electronics. But there was plenty of older tube stuff still around. I always enjoyed watching the tubes lighting up and listening to the high voltage crackle. Tube circuits are very reliable and produce high power. I would love to have my old Hallicrafters Tube Shortwave radio back. But it failed long ago. Gues us old guys have old ways, lol.

very awesome photos... i love how all that old tech stuff looks like... one of the reasons i got into watching all of the original outer limits series on hulu...

do you actually have any hardware left over from your grandfather?

That's some very clean construction...I build/repair tube equipment as a hobby, and that's easily some of the best wiring I've seen. Of course, that was back when everything was hand-wired, and people took pride in one-off prototypes like that because it was a representation of the person as much as it was a device.

Thanks man, I'm saving these for backgrounds.

Nice photos. Seeing tubes takes me back to when I was little and seeing those things around my dad's workshop (among other things).

Amazing how electronics has changed since those days, eh?

Nice photos. Seeing tubes takes me back to when I was little and seeing those things around my dad's workshop (among other things).

Amazing how electronics has changed since those days, eh?

Well, yes and no...

I design an build all tube guitar amps as a hobby. Funny thing is I didn't know that my Grandpa used to do this until last week.

Here is the inside of my last design: "Milk and Honey", a 10watt Single Ended, Class A amp using 1 KT66 tube and a 5751 in the preamp:

Milk_n_Honey.jpg

And The Outside:

DSCF0045.jpg

milkhoney2.jpg

Anyhow, he never got to keep his work, but I do have all of his reference books on radio engineering. They actually come in handy quite frequently.