Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aghaster

Android VNC Server

8 posts in this topic

http://onaips.blogspot.com/2010/06/android-vnc-server-02b-preliminary.html

I tried this new application today on my rooted nexus one with Android 2.2 FRF91, and it works quite well! I was really disappointed that there was no good equivalent of MyMobiler for Android phones until now. There's another application called androidscreencast that doesn't require root but it's very laggy and the image quality is crap. This one, however, does exactly what I'd expect out of a VNC server :) mouahaha!

androidvncserver.png

So you can control your phone from your computer, but how about the other way around? Is there a useable VNC client available for Android yet?

So you can control your phone from your computer, but how about the other way around? Is there a useable VNC client available for Android yet?

Clients? Yeah, they've been available for a while. Android VNC Viewer is a good free one. I've used it to VNC into my mac os x snow leopard virtual machine from my phone, works quite well :P

That's pretty tight. Can you set a password on that VNC server? It'd be even more useful if you got it running as non-root.

Yeah, password works. There's also options for screen rotation and scaling. Just for the hell of it I remote controlled my phone from my girlfriend's phone. Possibly the geekiest thing I've done all week. Not 100% sure what I'm going to do with this but it's at least a cool thing to have around. Yeah having a version for non-rooted phones would be nice, though likely impossible, but it's easy enough to root most phones :)

Another fun use, though not really useful either, VNC into your droid from an iPhone, hide the VNC interface and REALLY confuse your friends.

i believe he meant from a security aspect, as they arent that "multi user" as if your phone is root your just running root all the time, i mean if its rooted just open terminal type su hit enter/return and no password needed nothing you can do anything delete anyfile, w.e. you wanna do, as if it was running not root you basically couldnt do anything, besides run the "fun" programs or w.e. but nothing dangerous besides making calls or w.e. running bill up i suppose.