phr33zr byt3

Comcast tv station runs on a pc....?

8 posts in this topic

I was watching tv and noticed that on a local comcast community bulletin board station you can see a mouse arrow on the screen and I had just never considered the fact before that the channel ran what is probably a slideshow on a computer. I took the pic where you can see the mouse arrow. Does anyone have any pics of computer malfunctions showing up on tv stations?

post-21873-075187900 1279435068_thumb.jp

pretty cool. i remember my old cable company had a guide on channel 1 that always got kernel panics. It ran a Commodore Amiga with the Workbench 3.0 o/s.

Yeah. Here's a pic I took of a malfunction alright. It was broadcast during the local weather "current conditions" on a local T.V. station :

29xhd2v.jpg

Denver got sort of chilly that day (it was earlier this year, btw), but not that bad - it was about 30 at the time.

Hahaha... this stayed on the screen for some time too, funnier yet - enough time to grab my cell phone and get this pic.

The T.V. station was 9news here in Denver.

Edit : Comcast running off a computer is nothing new. AFAIK, most big stations do these days. That makes for the possibility of computer screw ups. There's one I keep seeing on Fox News broadcasts but haven't thought to snap any pic. It's their news ticker scrolling at the bottom - it keeps having the same typo where there's no space between 2 words while it scrolls on whatever news item it is. I haven't even paid attention to which Fox News show it is - just one with news all the time. They have yet to fix it and it's been going on for months.

Of course, this computer error doesn't beat the cursor one you have or the -244 degrees one either.

Edited by resistor X

Most stations run on a computer, we have one around here that shows ads for houses for sale. And late at night you can see them switch slides for the next day. Most of the time you don't see this because they switch between video sources during the switch. But on occasion you'll catch it.

Once I was watching a station on cable and it kept losing its satellite signal. The error screen was the exact one that I used to get on Dish Network, so I guess the cable company was just reselling their Dish Network channels.

Reminds me of a friend who ran an ISP for years by buying DSL accounts from the phone company and used the bandwidth to sell dialup accounts to people.

This reminds me of yesterday, I stopped by a Taco Bell and went through the drive through. There was a "black screen of death" on the order screen, mentioning something about a 333MHz Celeron CPU and an invalid boot disk.

Doesn't Verifone make the new touch-screen ordering equipment for Taco Bell? Hmm...it would figure. :laugh:

i was playing with my capture card and tuned to channel one and it was a windows 98 desktop and it opened a old western video and it played 1940s westerns for about 5 hours and blue screen and the it went back to static here in Ohio we have never had a channel one ....cable pirate? it happens every night (except the blue screen)