Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aghaster

Wii Remote Bluetooth Protocol

3 posts in this topic

I've read in many places that people have been able to reverse engineer the wii remote bluetooth protocol in order to write drivers to use the wii remote with their computers. However, I couldn't find anywhere information on how to simulate a wii remote by using the same bluetooth protocol from a different bluetooth capable device. I'm asking the question because it would be a really nice cheap way to adapt all sorts of controllers to the wii. For instance, a nexus one application would simulate all sorts of retro gamepads for the NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, etc and simulate a wii remote. The input could then be mapped in an emulator in wii homebrew and make it easier to play games in the emulator. I could also try to use my NES to USB adapter with a PC with a bluetooth dongle that would send the signals over bluetooth, saving me from buying an NES to Wii adapter. Any information?

I've read in many places that people have been able to reverse engineer the wii remote bluetooth protocol in order to write drivers to use the wii remote with their computers. However, I couldn't find anywhere information on how to simulate a wii remote by using the same bluetooth protocol from a different bluetooth capable device. I'm asking the question because it would be a really nice cheap way to adapt all sorts of controllers to the wii. For instance, a nexus one application would simulate all sorts of retro gamepads for the NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, etc and simulate a wii remote. The input could then be mapped in an emulator in wii homebrew and make it easier to play games in the emulator. I could also try to use my NES to USB adapter with a PC with a bluetooth dongle that would send the signals over bluetooth, saving me from buying an NES to Wii adapter. Any information?

i like the idea that you have about being able to use a cell phone to work as the control for a video game console..

but the nes to usb to pc to bt dongle to control the console sounds kinda rube goldberg and would probably introduce too much lag or delay of the controls..

I'm asking the question because it would be a really nice cheap way to adapt all sorts of controllers to the wii.

It may be possible to 'pretend to be' a Wiimote, however it may be hard as the console might attempted to read all sorts of trival parameters from the remote (such as reading the camera data) which wouldn't normally be required for your application. Faking up the BlueTooth interface on Linux should be fairly trival, however the devil is in the detailed operation.

So far the best resource I have found is the WiiBrew site:

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Wiimote

Cheers,

Mungewell

(who is currently trying to get a Logitech Wii Steering wheel working with his PC)