Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Against Me!

Cell phone to modem question

14 posts in this topic

I think I remember reading something about connecting your cellphone to your modem, and using it for that.

I'm wondering, could you use that to war dial? I wouldn't think that you'd need amazing quality for the program to detect a modem.

I remember my friend used his cellphone a few times to connect to his ISP on his laptop, it did work and I believe it maxed out @ 14.4 kbs. He had a connector that went from the handsfree plug in on the bottome of his phone, and ended in a regular phone jack. It's available as an aftermarket accessory for most cell phones.

The only problem with wardialing is that a cellphone often takes longer to initialize the call and reset between calls than a landline, you would be limited to maybe 1/2 speed scanning compared to a landline. Plus, if it bills by the minute each call would cost you a minute.

--Edit--

Here's an example of an IR modem hookup for your laptop

Erricson GSM IR modem

Edited by Bellbox

yeah, a coupler can only pull about 14.4 as well.

i have a special cable for my cell phone that i plug in to the usb port on my powerbook and connect to verizon @ 14.4k like you guys are talkin about. its cool when i need to go online in some random spot. but i dunno about wardialing with the thing. i always wondered if i could use it to dial a modem and actually connect. i cant get the software to let me dial a number besides the one for the verizon internet connection

scanning w/ a cellphone, unlimited nights & weekends would take on a whole new meaning

ya thats why i would like to get it to work

scanning w/ a cellphone, unlimited nights & weekends would take on a whole new meaning

Exactly. I could war dial to my hearts pleasure on weekends and nights.

so long as you have a phone that will take a data-cable...

neuro: i dont beleive this would work on any cell phone cause they cant generaly be tone dialed the same way landlines can... and even if you found one that could be toned you would still need to hack your dialer software to send send and end signals, and i dont know if they even have proper tones for them or if they only signal electricly with in the phone it's self....

so long as you have a phone that will take a data-cable...

neuro: i dont beleive this would work on any cell phone cause they cant generaly be tone dialed the same way landlines can... and even if you found one that could be toned you would still need to hack your dialer software to send send and end signals, and i dont know if they even have proper tones for them or if they only signal electricly with in the phone it's self....

that's very true. It will probably only work with a data cable, assuming the phone allows going on/off hook via the cable.

I was just thinking that if you had a FEW phones you could hook them each up to independant modems in your computer and multi-link for MAD PHAT BANDWIDTH...

Holy crap! I want to try this now. Anyone have a crap ton of modems, a few pci extender cards, and a bunch of unlimited night minute phones?

hahahaha

MAD PHAT BANDWIDTH

how can you ignore the possibilities of MAD PHAT BANDWIDTH?

or i wonder, with several phones could you get a bunch of numbers going at the same time? that could be entertaining.

I'd guess you could get a bunch of numbers going at the same time... Just run the war dialer another time and point it at another hardware port?

That'd be interesting...

well, you couldn't wardial, but you could connect to a carrier.

also, it would be wicked cool if one had a script connected to your cellphone data cable that would wardial numbers as well as switch pairs constantly.