Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
m2mike

Don't tell people your skills.

12 posts in this topic

This comic sums it up nicely. You can't profess computer related knowledge to immediate family. :)

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/computers

lol rabbits do not mix with pcs. I'm surprised the comic didn't include the rat nest complete with gnawed cables and a jittered rabbit.

Also, unless you work in Information Security, DO NOT discuss infosec issues with ANYBODY at your workplace!

Then again, I'm sure you all know better than that.

BTW, shouldn't this be posted somewhere in Off-Topic?

It's what they do, how else do you expect them to make their money other than their shitty magazine with old/incorrect/bad articles?

this is soo true, and its fucking terrible. Sometimes i just wish to cut someone apart with blu ray laser :D

this is soo true, and its fucking terrible. Sometimes i just wish to cut someone apart with blu ray laser :D

i agree with this statement 100%.

In my case, my wife volunteered me up to the father in law... hmm yep I'm hosed (when I'm around) fortunately I live six hours away

so it's minimal.

Sigh, this makes me cry a little inside. I haven't visited my grandparents in over three years without "being put to work" for at minimum an hour each time. It's so bad I just prefer not to visit sometimes, as I thought I was visiting them not being a tech support house call service (or phone supporting software I have never used, thats fun too).

I'm in the same situation, only with my neighbours in my building.

My apartment building is cheap and away from the city. So, as you can imagine, it's full of elderly people. It only started with one - but then she told others... and it spread. It got to the point that they wanted me to work 5 hours a week just fixing spyware-laden crap and create photo books. Doesn't sound like much, but when you don't have weekends and work long hours 5 hours of "free" time is alot.

Finally, the initial lady got protective when she found out I had to work 2 real jobs and told the others to back off. Now I only work for her. I feel like I'm her bitch and this is prison.

Edited by Seal

I helped a friend move into a new place and spoke to one of his new house mates. He asked me what I did and I told him I just finished a degree in computer science. The first thing he said was

"oh, so you must like computers. Feel free to look at the computer, its a little slow if you want to play around with it?".

I think they may ask us to fix things because they think we enjoy it. Maybe they think they're doing us a favour :thumbdown:

TBH I dont even know how to fix most virus/spyware issues any more. If i'm forced i'll just wipe and start again, which is easy now most people have laptops with restore partitions.

you got to charge people - even if it is just $50 or something.... i mean unless it is family, i guess you got to just deal with those "freebies"

you got to charge people - even if it is just $50 or something.... i mean unless it is family, i guess you got to just deal with those "freebies"

It's crazy how quickly people will latch onto their "computer guy" and think that since they know your name and number they are entitled to blow up your phone with trivial questions or problems, often as a favor to one of their friends...my solution to the free-support-friend problem was to begin explaining to friends how much a shop or manufacturer would charge for the service that i was providing, and how busy i am with all the free work i do for friends, but that I would add their charity case to my service log and handle it in the order in which it was received excepting for the fact that each $1 paid to me up front elevates an item by 1 slot, with $50 getting same-day service, and $20 a 3-day response time. Once people understood how busy I actually get, and how simple it was to get my attention with a few $, I shook most of the other leeches when I started half-assing my charity work - installing hardware and not loading drivers until the next time I came out for free, loading software but only for one user account rather than all users, identifying viral infections but not actually removing them, etc. etc...of course as soon as a few $$ were shown, the work got finished fast and professional. I don't have to deal with family trying to get support out of me; my 4 sisters and 2 brothers are all computer literate (though that may be an understatement - 1 of my sisters co-founded a telecom start-up before starting an extremely successful web design company, another advises hospitals on tech purchases, and one of my brothers is a manager in HP's mainframe division...)