Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nyphonejacks

track a facebook account

11 posts in this topic

a friend of mine asked me a question - i did not have an answer for him, but told him i would attempt to find out for him...

he said a friend of his was getting death threats on facebook - the culture of people around him is that you do not go to the police... so the obvious way to track the IP address or person who posted the info is out....

all he got is the face book account - which does not have any info on it (i assume that it was just set up to make the threats) and an AOL email address that is connected to the facebook account, i guess it is the one that was used to create the facebook account.

i assume that the email address might also be a throw away email address.. but it is possible that the person is just an idiot and used an email address that could be tracked back to him...

is this enough info to try to track the persons IP or find out any more information about this person?

is there something that he can do to try to track the person?

i do not use facebook myself so i am not really familiar with it... i think that google takes enough of my private information, and think that facebook, twitter, etc are just training the up and coming generations to freely give up there privacy...

only think that i thought of was if he was able to get the person to email him he should have the IP address in the headers, so i told him to try to email the dude and see if he gets a response...

The best thing you can do imho is to google his email address just like this

"target@aol.com"

exactly like that with the quotes.

You're right to be worried about google collecting personal data because im willing to bet you are going to find something...

I would first start by checking out the guys name/email address on pipl.com and similar search engines (pipl is good for searching for people). I would also use tineye to try and match his profile picture. Maybe he's using the same on some other site. If I found some info I would use that to try and brute force his fb and AOL passwords.

To get his IP address I would set up a web server hosting an image and find some way to get him to click it. Maybe create a profile and pretend to be a hot girl and post the link on his wall. I'm not too familiar with facebook so I dont know the best way this could be achieved but we've all had spam. Try and learn from it :laugh:. Does he have AIM? Again, pretend to be a hot girl (maybe bored and typed his address at random) and offer to show a pic, then send the link. After he clicks the link the web server logs would show his IP address.

I would first start by checking out the guys name/email address on pipl.com and similar search engines (pipl is good for searching for people). I would also use tineye to try and match his profile picture. Maybe he's using the same on some other site. If I found some info I would use that to try and brute force his fb and AOL passwords.

To get his IP address I would set up a web server hosting an image and find some way to get him to click it. Maybe create a profile and pretend to be a hot girl and post the link on his wall. I'm not too familiar with facebook so I dont know the best way this could be achieved but we've all had spam. Try and learn from it :laugh:. Does he have AIM? Again, pretend to be a hot girl (maybe bored and typed his address at random) and offer to show a pic, then send the link. After he clicks the link the web server logs would show his IP address.

lol i told him the same thing, to pretend to be a chick and try to flirt with the dude or something so he could find out who it was...

lol i told him the same thing, to pretend to be a chick and try to flirt with the dude or something so he could find out who it was...

Well,

Assuming the guy is half way smart about it, he could just be using a throw away e-mail account and accessing AOL & Facebook through TOR. .

You could attempt to get his ip by pretending to be a "hot chick" as someone suggested and send him a link to a nude pic. Catch being that on the

webserver the jpg is actually a php script with a .jpg extension that opens up the real nude pic. In the process you can record his ip, browser info etc.

Well,

Assuming the guy is half way smart about it, he could just be using a throw away e-mail account and accessing AOL & Facebook through TOR. .

You could attempt to get his ip by pretending to be a "hot chick" as someone suggested and send him a link to a nude pic. Catch being that on the

webserver the jpg is actually a php script with a .jpg extension that opens up the real nude pic. In the process you can record his ip, browser info etc.

pretty sure street thugs are not that tech savvy to be using TOR or proxy servers...

Well,

pretty sure street thugs are not that tech savvy to be using TOR or proxy servers...

Actually, some are. Organized crime is heavy into using TOR . Even a simple street thug could be smart enough to use some free wifi somewhere along with throw away accounts

to do his dirty work.

Well,

Actually, some are. Organized crime is heavy into using TOR . Even a simple street thug could be smart enough to use some free wifi somewhere along with throw away accounts

to do his dirty work.

open wifi very likely... TOR, VPN, proxies, encryption not too sure about that...

No one is saying what to do with the IP address if it's found out.

Did it ever occur to you to just send an email to that account? People phish all the time for information. Sending an email to confirm a person's identity is not illegal. Spoof your email address and make the email look legit. He might be stupid enough to respond with legit info. Facebook and Myspace are all good sources for phishing emails.

OR, Send an IM to that guy on AIM IM, send a link of a created blank web page on a web host you own and look at your web host logs.

However, the easiest thing you could do to circumvent obfuscation of IP, info, and identity is to call up AOL. Use a bit of SE, make up some falsified identity of your own, and confirm the owner of the email address from a third party source. Make sure you don't call from your home phone. :X

BUT, I am not telling you to break the law. Just probe for information within the bounds of the law.

Edited by MrAlk3

meh...

this was more for someone i know, not myself... and basically the advise i gave him is similar to what i got here... i am not getting involved any further with this, as i do not want any liability for what may or may not occur IF they determine who had posted the messages...