Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cyberkrud

Proxies

7 posts in this topic

I am pretty much entry level when it comes to computers but i know enough to be concerned for my privacy while online.

Can anyone enlighten me to the safest/proper way to use a proxie while online?

I've seen some that you just type in where you want to visit and it seems to do the rest.

There was one where i was required to do a download but was unsure how safe this was.

Any help is appreciated.

Keep in mind that when using a proxy your data is being sent though a third party. Fantastic for staying hidden from the destination but any data you send/receive can be read by the proxy owner. Tor used to be OK but seems to be too slow for use now-a-days. Tor provides a secure connection between you and your destination via other users on the tor network. Again, the owner of the "exit node" can read data but not know where it came from.

I think the best option may be to use a VPN. There are a few free services available but many require payment.

Keep in mind that when using a proxy your data is being sent though a third party. Fantastic for staying hidden from the destination but any data you send/receive can be read by the proxy owner. Tor used to be OK but seems to be too slow for use now-a-days. Tor provides a secure connection between you and your destination via other users on the tor network. Again, the owner of the "exit node" can read data but not know where it came from.

I think the best option may be to use a VPN. There are a few free services available but many require payment.

TOR is a double edged sword and network monitoring on exit nodes can lead to an equal amount of privacy concerns. TOR in many ways is an offensive anonymity platform in that

certain individuals who use it don't care so much about what they are observed doing by unknown operators of exit nodes rather than their end targets not knowing who

or where a potential online assailant came from .

If I were serious about getting a paid vpn/proxy service, I'd look for one that was hosted outside the US

TOR is a double edged sword and network monitoring on exit nodes can lead to an equal amount of privacy concerns. TOR in many ways is an offensive anonymity platform in that

certain individuals who use it don't care so much about what they are observed doing by unknown operators of exit nodes rather than their end targets not knowing who

If I were serious about getting a paid vpn/proxy service, I'd look for one that was hosted outside the US

Tor is great. Here's a good tor plugin: http://download.cnet.com/Torpark/3000-2144_4-10586816.html

and heres a firefox build with tor built in http://download.cnet.com/xB-Browser/3000-2144_4-10586817.html

the xB Browser private vpn service is great. (of course you gotta pay for it tho)

Tor is great. Here's a good tor plugin: http://download.cnet.com/Torpark/3000-2144_4-10586816.html

and heres a firefox build with tor built in http://download.cnet.com/xB-Browser/3000-2144_4-10586817.html

the xB Browser private vpn service is great. (of course you gotta pay for it tho)

Yes,

Just don't run an exit node in the US without a strong legal disclaimer :-)

I would just use UltraSurf (ultrareach.com). I used it at my local Nazi-controlled school district (with so-called HEAVY monitoring of traffic), and did all sorts of forbidden shit on the Internet (like visiting Wikipedia, *GASP*) with not so much as a finger-point. It works well, and I would definitely recommend it. Nothing to install, no shady sites to visit, no annoying long-ass PHP or Perl addresses. The only thing is: it only works with Windows. Sorry.

If it's Linux or Mac, then I can't help you there. I never could find anything good to use at school on Linux besides SSL proxies.

I would just use UltraSurf (ultrareach.com). I used it at my local Nazi-controlled school district (with so-called HEAVY monitoring of traffic), and did all sorts of forbidden shit on the Internet (like visiting Wikipedia, *GASP*) with not so much as a finger-point. It works well, and I would definitely recommend it. Nothing to install, no shady sites to visit, no annoying long-ass PHP or Perl addresses. The only thing is: it only works with Windows. Sorry.

If it's Linux or Mac, then I can't help you there. I never could find anything good to use at school on Linux besides SSL proxies.

Or if you own/rent your own server/vps at home or at a hosting company, just setup a *AMP stack ( your choice of nix + apache mysql php) setup dyndns if you're soon to be proxy box is at

home, and then setup surrogaifer (free web proxy code that actually works pretty well ) For further anonymity you could even forward all traffic into a tor network on that machine.

Further, setup SSL encryption and ALL your traffic between your proxy box and school/work pc becomes encrypted . All this is free.