Phail_Saph

"Hacker" rats out Wikileak Suspect

86 posts in this topic

I'll say hi to those DHS guys who wasted their good money to attend.

So a couple government agents paid $200 of the taxpayer's money to stand around a roach hotel gawking at a bunch of computer nerds. I'm sure it wouldn't be the first time.

I wonder if Assange is going to cancel his talk, or just 'phone it in' to a packed room.

Do they still play 'Spot the Fed' at HOPE?

Assange did not show.. as expected, but he did not do a talk via video feed either, as i had hoped for... instead someone else spoke on behalf of wikileaks, and addressed the lamo/manning issues.... the guy who spoke for wiki leaks wore a shirt that said "stop snitching"

The Wikileaks representatives sure looked like some tough characters...

wl8v1f.gif

Check out this tweet from Lamo.

I'm at The Next HOPE (Hackers On Planet Earth) (Hotel Pennsylvania, New York) w/ 8 others. http://4sq.com/9ajKqe 11:54 AM Jul 16th via foursquare from Chelsea, New York

Has anyone even seen him there? Hope he's having fun.

But even better is something from a couple of weeks ago, which I must have missed.

Lamo challenged Assange to come to HOPE even though it was common knowledge at the time that DHS wanted Assange. The best part is that Lamo scoffed at the idea that Assange was in any danger.

And we're pretending that Lamo is merely a single-incident informant?

Edited by decoder

I don't think that indicates he's anything more than a cowardly little snot, yelling out taunts from a safe distance. Lamo knows Assange isn't so stupid as to travel right into the heart of this shitstorm just to engage him in a so-called "sidebar debate." Risk losing his freedom, for what possible benefit?

Lamo's just playing up the situation to keep himself in the spotlight. This whole story gets sleazier and more depressing the more I read about it.

Edited by Colonel Panic

Um, I occasionally talk to Adrien Lamo and he's really not such a bad guy...

He sounded less than thrilled talking about this whole situation, quickly changed the topic

Edited by Lord 0xf

He sounded less than thrilled talking about this whole situation, quickly changed the topic

Not surprising, considering the shit he's been getting.

Perhaps he'd expected to be celebrated as a hero in the hacker community?

If he expected to be a hero in the hacker community, then he's more of a nut than I thought.

He's probably a big hero in the Total Fucking Asshole community.

Not surprising, considering the shit he's been getting.

unfortunately i slept in on sunday during hope and missed this panel... i really wanted to see this talk, luckily it is available online as an mp3 (would have preferred video)

my impression of lamo from hearing him speak - he sounds like a fagot, and perhaps was trying more to convince himself that what he did was right than anything else, and after hearing him speak, and his lame excuse/justification makes me feel like some one should give him the snitch scar... i am not trying to advocate violence against him, but i think that if someone was to put a razor across his face i do not think that many people would be that upset...

disclaimer: please do not intentionally cause bodily harm or injury to others

Most of his answers to the panel were believable in that it's possible he really did think he was doing the right thing from where he was. But then the panel asked why he had to go to Wired magazine with the story...his reaction to that question pretty much sums his actions up, as far as I see it.

Most of his answers to the panel were believable in that it's possible he really did think he was doing the right thing from where he was. But then the panel asked why he had to go to Wired magazine with the story...his reaction to that question pretty much sums his actions up, as far as I see it.

a rat is a rat is a fucking rat.... as emanuel said, why did he not just ignore manning...

and if the facts of the matter are that they were already monitoring mannings actions, then there would be no reason for lamo to rat... it only will cause more issues for manning to attempt to overcome...

lamo should have known better, especially having gone thru the system himself... but what manning faces could be far worse than what many of us who have computer trespass felony charges on our records, because he will face military justice, not civilian justice, a dishonorable discharge (they can not take my honorable discharge away from me) and likely a pretty long prison sentence regardless of if anything that might have been released to him was benign, or out dated information...

lamo should have known better, especially having gone thru the system himself... but what manning faces could be far worse than what many of us who have computer trespass felony charges on our records, because he will face military justice, not civilian justice, a dishonorable discharge (they can not take my honorable discharge away from me) and likely a pretty long prison sentence regardless of if anything that might have been released to him was benign, or out dated information...

Yeah, I really liked when he claimed that he didn't put Manning in any position that he hadn't been in...especially the comment about how it wasn't like Manning was being tortured or anything. Hopefully having the Vietnam veteran come forward put a little perspective on that for Lamo...

I agree that he's a rat, but my point was if someone thought he was justified, even Lamo couldn't explain why he had to go make a news article out of it.

he had to bring it to the media so that in his twisted mind, he could be looked upon as a hero, and patriot for saving american soldiers lives..

and claiming ignorance about the accessory after the fact laws just makes him look even stupider... how could he not be aware of such laws - had he claimed that this was a reason why he considered becoming an informant then perhaps i could begin to understand and perhaps even accept the reasoning behind being a scumbag fuck...

as i told one of my friends once - i don't care what anyone tells me, even if they admitted to being the unibomber, or murdering there entire family, i would never narc anyone... my friends response was sort of unusual in that he said if he did those actions he would want me to narc on him... having had first hand experience with the system, i can tell you that it is never the right thing to narc on someone under any circumstances... everything needs to be dealt with at the lowest possible level possible, once something is turned over to the police or the feds then things get out of hand...

how did lame-o know that manning was being truthful about his actions, and not just spewing a whole bunch of bullshit to try to make himself sound 1337, or more important than he really was? i would say that most shit people talk about on the internet is bullshit anyways... been there, done that...