nyphonejacks

prepaid android phone on boost

4 posts in this topic

i just saw a commercial for an android phone for boostmobile... this is the first prepaid phone that i am aware of that is powered by android...

my problem is why did boost (or motorola who makes the phone) decide to make this an iDEN phone when they have been introducing lots of CDMA phones, and pushing there CDMA network...

this is the link to the phone on boostmobiles website...

http://www.boostmobilestore.com/bpdirect/boost/PhoneList.do?action=view&id=opus?cid=das_ppc_yah_opus1_n_boost%20mobile%20i1%20android#

with a majority of the newer boost phones being for the CDMA network, i assumed that they were preparing to end the life of the iDEN network, making new phones available on the iDEN network.

while i love the idea of a prepaid android phone, and the boostmobile blackberry 8330 has not lived up to my expectations (freezing up too frequently and needing to be rebooted) i can not see spending money (price not listed on website) for a phone on the iDEN network.... guess for now i will have to try the virgin mobile blackberry 8530

I have a Curve too. It's funny that you have to reboot a lot. I've had the opposite experience, at least compared to my work phone which is an HTC Windows mobile brick which I have to reboot at least twice a day (but that is mostly because of my company's apps being poorly made) or if I don't use it for a day or so. For some reason Windows Mobile devices seem to not garbage collect as well as they should and just letting it set begins to slow down the device.

Anyway, my question is why are you going with another blackberry? Touchscreen is a must. Once you go touchscreen you don't go back, I use my work phone like a "Tricoder" in Star Trek. It is always being accessed (maps, location, pictures, video and audio recording, etc.) and the fastest and most efficient way is through touch. You can go with a Storm but, yeah, there're more expensive and more importantly Blackberry is dead.

With the disproportionate uptake of the iPhone and iPad by the upper middle class corporate types, more and more apps are being developed to securely link to one's company's network, especially things like MS Exchange. This is the only reason why RIM was able to be so successful...specializing to the needs of the corporate types. Now that "Mobile" is the new thing, there is sufficient support to satisfy both the consumer and business classes with devices that run alternatives.

I have a Curve too. It's funny that you have to reboot a lot. I've had the opposite experience, at least compared to my work phone which is an HTC Windows mobile brick which I have to reboot at least twice a day (but that is mostly because of my company's apps being poorly made) or if I don't use it for a day or so. For some reason Windows Mobile devices seem to not garbage collect as well as they should and just letting it set begins to slow down the device.

Anyway, my question is why are you going with another blackberry? Touchscreen is a must. Once you go touchscreen you don't go back, I use my work phone like a "Tricoder" in Star Trek. It is always being accessed (maps, location, pictures, video and audio recording, etc.) and the fastest and most efficient way is through touch. You can go with a Storm but, yeah, there're more expensive and more importantly Blackberry is dead.

With the disproportionate uptake of the iPhone and iPad by the upper middle class corporate types, more and more apps are being developed to securely link to one's company's network, especially things like MS Exchange. This is the only reason why RIM was able to be so successful...specializing to the needs of the corporate types. Now that "Mobile" is the new thing, there is sufficient support to satisfy both the consumer and business classes with devices that run alternatives.

reason i was considering another blackberry is because it is another prepaid phone, and i could use the new (virgin mobile) bb on a $35 plan with unlimited text and web with 300 minutes or something, and continue to use my current phone for work calls... i always like to have 2 cell phones just to have a 2nd line available when needed... i do not like having to be tied to a contract, besides the cost of service for contract phones seems to be about double what prepaid plans are now-a-days...

i just saw a commercial for an android phone for boostmobile... this is the first prepaid phone that i am aware of that is powered by android...

my problem is why did boost (or motorola who makes the phone) decide to make this an iDEN phone when they have been introducing lots of CDMA phones, and pushing there CDMA network...

this is the link to the phone on boostmobiles website...

http://www.boostmobi...20i1%20android#

with a majority of the newer boost phones being for the CDMA network, i assumed that they were preparing to end the life of the iDEN network, making new phones available on the iDEN network.

while i love the idea of a prepaid android phone, and the boostmobile blackberry 8330 has not lived up to my expectations (freezing up too frequently and needing to be rebooted) i can not see spending money (price not listed on website) for a phone on the iDEN network.... guess for now i will have to try the virgin mobile blackberry 8530

Actually that's pretty dope. I like the iDEN network even if the data speeds are on par with having a dialup modem. I've been thinking of leaving Verizon for quite a while now and the iDEN network is just as good as the CDMA one in terms of coverage (at least where I go). The only thing that can make it better is for Boost/Nextel to do iDEN phones that are also unlocked GSM world phones as well.