Aghaster

Marvell Moby Tablet

14 posts in this topic

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/19/marvell-pitches-99-moby-tablet-as-textbook-alternative/

Now, that is freaking impressive, especially when you think the iPad starts at 550$! Not only it's a low cost device, but it's running Android, which makes it even more awesome :) Definitely on my wish list!

I'm not really a fan of Android myself, as app support across the sea of hardware is not what it should be. But at a hardware level it looks cool, I think it will be a tech toy and user support will be a joke at best like what Nokia do, so you are not going to see your granny using one.

If it has host USB support I'll go out and buy one when they comes out, if not i'll just wait until they come on the market used for $30. Right now the ClarionMIND looks good for the price and the size, as I've seen them for under $120 new and its trivial at best to get it working how you want and with the OS you want.

Edited by m3747r0n

It's good timing. Several universities have put their student/faculty Kindle programs on hold (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2011938870_kindle24.html). That might open things up for other players in the .edu market. However, there is a hitch, actually along the lines of the comment above: The edu users and institutions need support and maintainability for devices they buy into. A chip company can't provide that. The OS itself doesn't have support either. Although Android has its benefits in some ways, it's lack of consistency will work against it in the markets where that is important. The device can increase its chances for success by aligning with vendors who will unify the interface, perhaps branding, and provide support.

I'm definitely going to get one to play with.

I'm genuinely interested in where the tablet/os race is going to go within the next few years. I honestly can't say that I'm really happy with any of the products out there right now (hardware or software) but I'm reasonably happy with my iPhone. I think that there definitely needs to be some reform done to the pricing in regard to the mobile network plans as right now it's just simply too expensive to own multiple devices (laptop, phone, tablet) and pay for a connection for each. Hopefully the amount of competition out there right now coupled with the LTE technology that is beginning to be implemented will help to solve these problems.

That spec reminds me of the guru plug computers, also running a marvell cpu, but which come with a build of debian linux for developers.

Wonder how long before someone ports other flavours of linux to them...

I'm genuinely interested in where the tablet/os race is going to go within the next few years. I honestly can't say that I'm really happy with any of the products out there right now (hardware or software) but I'm reasonably happy with my iPhone. I think that there definitely needs to be some reform done to the pricing in regard to the mobile network plans as right now it's just simply too expensive to own multiple devices (laptop, phone, tablet) and pay for a connection for each. Hopefully the amount of competition out there right now coupled with the LTE technology that is beginning to be implemented will help to solve these problems.

many new smartphones are coming with the ability for the phone to act as a hotspot, so it is reducing the need to purchace a connection for multiple devices... not to mention many broadband providers offering free wifi to there customers (while wifi coverage can be spotty, it is an added bonus when you see optimum wifi, or verizon wifi etc, pop up when you are scanning for an open hotspot)

many new smartphones are coming with the ability for the phone to act as a hotspot, so it is reducing the need to purchace a connection for multiple devices... not to mention many broadband providers offering free wifi to there customers (while wifi coverage can be spotty, it is an added bonus when you see optimum wifi, or verizon wifi etc, pop up when you are scanning for an open hotspot)

I haven't heard of any phones in the US that allow the phone to tether without paying a monthly charge without hacking the phone in some way. I know that other countries have cell providers which are allowing this, but from what I have seen all of the ones in the US are trying to squeeze every penny out of their customers that they can while spending as little money as they possibly can to upgrade and maintain their network.

I haven't heard of any phones in the US that allow the phone to tether without paying a monthly charge without hacking the phone in some way. I know that other countries have cell providers which are allowing this, but from what I have seen all of the ones in the US are trying to squeeze every penny out of their customers that they can while spending as little money as they possibly can to upgrade and maintain their network.

Android 2.2 (FroYo) allows tethering, but if that feature is disabled is left at the discretion of the carrier. However, if you buy your phone from Google and buy service from a carrier, they shouldn't be able to prevent you from tethering, or they shouldn't have a way of controlling if you are tethering.

i am pretty sure that i saw a small few phones last time i was by bestbuy that worked as a hotspot as well... but what the additional cost for the plan was for this functionality is i do not know... i am more of a prepaid cell phone user... got my $60/mo boostmobile blackberry.. and likely going to get the virgin mobile blackberry as well in the next month or so with a $35 plan (300 minutes, plus unlimited text/web)

Android 2.2 (FroYo) allows tethering, but if that feature is disabled is left at the discretion of the carrier. However, if you buy your phone from Google and buy service from a carrier, they shouldn't be able to prevent you from tethering, or they shouldn't have a way of controlling if you are tethering.

Tethering is blocked on the sim card, not on the phone which is why the iPhone isn't able to tether unless jailbroken and done through a 3rd party app with AT&T. Tethering is supposed to be available at some point this year for AT&T customers but will likely be around $30+ for however much actual bandwidth they give you if the pricing is anything like the blackberry plans.

I tether my Verizon Droid for free (after a one time payment) using a program called PdaNet. Its available for a lot of different smartphones. Check it out.

http://www.junefabrics.com/index.php

PDANet is available, and I think that android based phones will have this issue much less than other ones that are more locked down by the vendor or provider, but the real issue is the lack of affordable tethering built in to the actual phone itself. Sure I can go jailbreak my iPhone and go grab any of the tethering apps out there, but I shouldn't have to. I understand that it is the goal of the provider to make money off their service, but paying $30 for your data plan for your phone, on top of the standard phone service, plus tethering/data plans for other devices that you own is just crazy.

I tether my Verizon Droid for free (after a one time payment) using a program called PdaNet. Its available for a lot of different smartphones. Check it out.

http://www.junefabrics.com/index.php

PDANet is available, and I think that android based phones will have this issue much less than other ones that are more locked down by the vendor or provider, but the real issue is the lack of affordable tethering built in to the actual phone itself. Sure I can go jailbreak my iPhone and go grab any of the tethering apps out there, but I shouldn't have to. I understand that it is the goal of the provider to make money off their service, but paying $30 for your data plan for your phone, on top of the standard phone service, plus tethering/data plans for other devices that you own is just crazy.

yea, but you do have to understand the carriers stance on tethering... an unlimited data plan that is used only for a smart phone to access the web is only going to cause minimal strain on there network - you could see how difficult it has been for ATT to keep up with the data demands just for the iphone alone... if they allowed unrestricted tethering with out an added fee, then the network would pretty much come to a stand still with everyone dumping there home broadband plans and relying on a tethered connection for huge data transfers that the network was not build or designed to handle... we will see if this all changes when LTE and wimax become the norm, as these networks were designed for data, unlike the current CDMA/GSM networks, where data was an afterthought...