Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aghaster

WebM (VP8) Video Codec for HTML5 video tag

6 posts in this topic

http://www.webmproject.org/

It was announced (and released) today at Google IO :) You may have heard about the recent acquisition by Google of the VP8 codec rights, well, they've named it "webm" and they've put it under a free license in order to end the video codec war for HTML5 with a royalty-free video codec that can compete with the other patent-encumbered video codecs :)

At the same time they've open the experimental HTML5 youtube :) I tried it today, and I watched some videos using the new codec, hehe.

See the current list of supported browsers:

http://www.webmproject.org/users/#supported_web_browsers

I was able to download a video from youtube and put it on my website with a dead simple HTML5 page:

http://www.awakecoding.com/webm/

<html>
<head><title>WebM HTML5 Video Test Page</title></head>
<body>
<h3>WebM HTML5 Video Test Page</h3>
<video autoplay="true" autobuffer="true" controls="true" src="media/prince_of_persia.webm"/>
</body>
</html>

This is soooooo amazing!

this sounds interesting, i'm gonna have to test some of this html5 stuff. any idea how long until chrome for linux will have this? or do you think firefox will get it first?

this sounds interesting, i'm gonna have to test some of this html5 stuff. any idea how long until chrome for linux will have this? or do you think firefox will get it first?

firefox development builds already have it. Chrome developer preview builds should be available on May 24th. Opera also has developer builds.

firefox development builds already have it. Chrome developer preview builds should be available on May 24th. Opera also has developer builds.

Awesome! After I found out about using HTML5 video I tried searching to get a copy but everywhere required a hefty payment in order to use their version. The benefits of HTML5 are going to be insane for web development! Thanks for the post :wink:

I find it very interesting that all the 'WebM is crap' comments point to the same posting by the H264 developer, I'd be really interested with what others have to say about the technical details of the format.

It seems that the MPEG-LA is going to be going on the offensive with this one, probably claiming that it must infringe of one of their patents (as nobody else could possible 'invent' a codec other than themselves).

As far a I can see, the one failing of WebM is that they have excluded all other items from the WebM container, which means that it is not possible to subtitle WebM content - hardly good for international videos/content.

Munge.

As far a I can see, the one failing of WebM is that they have excluded all other items from the WebM container, which means that it is not possible to subtitle WebM content - hardly good for international videos/content.

I'll save the quality commentary for another time. However, you are correct. One of the downfalls of WebM (and benefits of MPEG-4) is chapter and text tracks. I haven't looked at the WebM spec to see how extensible it is. MPEG-4 is quite extensible (the format being based on the Quicktime File Format -- atom containers). It's an important detail for folks like myself who write language/accessible software and media content.