Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
johnnymanson

Restore XP on Toshiba Laptop

8 posts in this topic

I have an old laptop that was sold with XP Home loaded on it. The PC was used as a PLC development machine for a long time with Win2K on it. The original recovery disc is lost, and the computer is old enough that Toshiba will not sell me one. Also I don't have any type of XP home Disc, but the computer has a valid Certificate of Authenticity for XP Home attached. Does anyone have any suggestions on getting XP Home installed on this laptop again? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Chances are the code on that sticker will only work with Toshiba distributed copies of XP, that has been my experience anyway. You might be able to find some Toshiba recovery disks on ebay, Linux wouldn't be a bad choice either.

Chances are the code on that sticker will only work with Toshiba distributed copies of XP, that has been my experience anyway. You might be able to find some Toshiba recovery disks on ebay, Linux wouldn't be a bad choice either.

It has Ubuntu on it now. I have been using it that way for a while. I just want to put XP back, so I can give it to a kid who wants iTunes. Do you think any Toshiba recovery disc will work? I figured I would need the one for the exact model.

I see some of those Toshiba Recovery discs listed on torrent sites so maybe you could try that.

Thanks guys. I couldn't find an exact match on the torrent sites, so I bought one off eBay.

Thanks guys. I couldn't find an exact match on the torrent sites, so I bought one off eBay.

If you have the XP key then all you need to do is burn an XP disk, install XP, put in the product key and away you go. It shold say if its home or pro on the key. ISOs of XP can be found on TPB

Alternately, most toshibas come with a recovery partition that can be accessed by hitting escape or f12 or f11 or f10 depending on the model of laptop

Received the Recovery CDs from eBay today. The computer is up and running. Thanks for the help.

All you need is a windows OEM disk. use the product key to install it.. the problem you might have is coming up with drivers.. Im sure if its older most of the genic. drivers might work. good luck.