Aghaster

Family Photo Sharing Web Application

9 posts in this topic

I've been thinking about this for a while, and I want to make a server to share photos with my extended family. I don't mind making a dedicated server, and I don't mind hosting it by myself. What I want is full control over the data, as it's not meant to be public. This means I don't want to pay for a service where my data is hosted elsewhere. What I want is a web application that I can install on my own LAMP server and make it easily accessible to my family. Obviously, this means something reaaaaalllly easy to use, as not everybody in my family is techno-friendly. It'd be cool if it would be easy enough for my grand-parents to at least browse through family photos.

Does anybody know of such web applications? I prefer free software licenses.

EDIT: So far, one of the best ones I found was Family Connections.

I know you want full control over your data, but Google's Picasa is actually pretty powerful. You can create private albums and give certain friends, family, etc. the access you want to give them.

I know you want full control over your data, but Google's Picasa is actually pretty powerful. You can create private albums and give certain friends, family, etc. the access you want to give them.

Isn't it hosted at google? Also, the picasa page says they give 1 gig of free storage only. By "full control over my data" I first mean that I don't want my data hosted in the cloud. This data is too important to risk having it hosted elsewhere. I want to host the data by myself and make my own backups regularly.

I used Plogger for a while, its open source so you can make any needed changes to fit your needs. http://www.plogger.org/

"Gallery" is a good fit for this. Its had a couple of exploits out for it in the past so its good to keep it up to date, but thats applicable to almost anything software wise isnt it?. It does fine user and permission granuality, runs on lamp and can get as big as your server can handle.

http://gallery.menalto.com/

Isn't it hosted at google? Also, the picasa page says they give 1 gig of free storage only. By "full control over my data" I first mean that I don't want my data hosted in the cloud. This data is too important to risk having it hosted elsewhere. I want to host the data by myself and make my own backups regularly.

Not sure what you mean by 'This data is too important to risk having it hosted elsewhere', using a cloud based system might actually mean that the data integrety would be better. However, I do see the benefits of keeping images/information out of the eyes of Google et all. Ultimately you will have to trust your hosting company (even if you have a VPS) not to 'loose' backups and keep then secure.

Lots of the CMS software have plugins for image galleries, which are often '1 click installs'. Limiting viewing to specific users/groups is possible.

I found a handy 'try it out site' if you want to play with any of the (many) open source CMS solutions:

http://php.opensourcecms.com/

Another benefit of a hosted solution is that that will (should) handle keeping the installation up to date. There are some headaches with hosting your own stuff on a VPS, getting pown'ed is just one of them.

Mungewell.

I'm doing something similar, I simply made a HTML form for my folks to upload pictures from, then used javascript links in a webpage which simply loops forwards, backwards etc.

My thought that any photo hosting service would confuse them, so I just made simple webpage links and a form.

It's slow to upload multiple pics though, I'm going to setup an FTP client for them to drag and drop with, or in my case use DropBox or something, they can put the pics into the DB folder and I can get them from there.

"Gallery" is a good fit for this. Its had a couple of exploits out for it in the past so its good to keep it up to date, but thats applicable to almost anything software wise isnt it?. It does fine user and permission granuality, runs on lamp and can get as big as your server can handle.

http://gallery.menalto.com/

I think you convinced me :) Gallery is awesome. I went for the 3.0 RC1 which looks much better than 2.3.x. There's one thing I didn't find yet, is there a way to download complete albums as zip files? I want to be able to share photos with my family, but I also want to make it easy for them to download.

Not done it myself but :-

"Make sure people can add images or whole albums to the 'cart'.

In my case, this meant Everyone had to be able to see the _parent_ album as a group permission, to make it easier to add the whole album to the cart.

Then, one of the cart options was to "download in zip" to transfer all of the images to your local computer in a .zip file archive.

"