The Th1nker

Did anyone see this?

6 posts in this topic

I am appalled and sickened.

http://www.sans.org/reading_room/whitepapers/incident/scareware-traversing-world-web-app-exploit_33333

In section 1.2 the writer states:

Attackers have moved from being 'script kiddies' or 'curious techies' who hacked a system for

bragging rights or to learn how something worked to organised, co-ordinated criminal gangs whose

aims are solely malevolent and are after monetary gain

The writer puts curious techies in the same group as script kiddies, attackers, and criminals. Wrong.

Edited by The Th1nker

I am appalled and sickened.

http://www.sans.org/reading_room/whitepapers/incident/scareware-traversing-world-web-app-exploit_33333

In section 1.2 the writer states:

Attackers have moved from being 'script kiddies' or 'curious techies' who hacked a system for

bragging rights or to learn how something worked to organised, co-ordinated criminal gangs whose

aims are solely malevolent and are after monetary gain

The writer puts curious techies in the same group as script kiddies, attackers, and criminals. Wrong.

I kinda agree with the statement. I dont think "curious techies" are being put in the same group as script kiddies or attackers, the author is just saying that the motives for attacks are changing. Maybe it could have been worded a bit better.

I don't agree with the statement. I think we're seeing more criminal activity simply because there's a greater population of criminals. A lot of people I know still hack purely for educational purposes. In fact, that number has grown throughout the years. I think we're just seeing growth is all. As more people use technology, both the market for criminal [mis-]use and innocent educational hacking of that same technology grows.

Edited by lattera

I've never been particularly interested in SANS. From a technical standpoint what I've seen them produce has been alright, but nothing amazing but honestly the price of their training and quality I just don't see as being worth it. I don't know what the authors intent is in the article, but I would assume the author was merely stating a fact that there is a large rise in computer based crime.

I agree with Latera the more population the more you have of good old hackers who hack to learn and attackers who hack and attack for profit and criminal enterprises.

I completely agree with that statement...it is so self evident that a- duh - is in order.

All your real major attacks are now from criminal organizations that are using botnets or intelligence agencies doing the same. These attacks are so severe that the previous modality of attack...a curious techie...as they say gaining access to a secure computer of a major asset and either accidentally doing something malicious or intoxicated with the success of the moment and moving into an illegal state is pale in comparison. For a purely malicious type, a single attacker at his computer rarely has the ability to perform catastrophic damage to a major asset anymore. When this stuff was new you could have something like the Morrison worm work, but now this type of attack, though not impossible by a single "curious techie" is exceptionally more difficult.

Technology has simply become the center of our world and so all major powers whether legitimate or criminal cannot afford NOT to be involved. Out of all the threats to hacking this is the most severe, even more severe than the battle in the 90's for the heart and soul what it is to be a hacker. This totally makes the discussion moot since we are so overwhelmed by this new modality.

In a way though, it can be a good thing. Hacking was always about being underground. If the real "hacker" is pushed out of technology then it means those of us who are true hackers can continue to live in our "secret" world in peace as opposed to it being invaded by popular culture.

As more people use technology, both the market for criminal [mis-]use and innocent educational hacking of that same technology grows...

I can make the other statements in your comment work for me but this one I'm a little uneasy about. "Hackers" discovered technology and not the other way around. If this was the 19th century or earlier I probably would have been a philosopher, poet, or writer. Not that I don't partake in those pursuits now only technology allows me to make my philosophy and creativity come to light and so I don't need fiction or words on a paper to be the only places where my soul can breath.