Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
twirlz

installing slack

30 posts in this topic

ok well i decieded to reformat my slave hdd and patition to dual boot slackware. i have about a 5 gig part for this install. well i got as far as trying to make the linux partition and thats it. i tried fdisk and did /dev/hdb5 and then fdisk said there was 4 other partitions in that part. so then i try cfdisk and all i can see is my windows partition. was wondering if there was something im doing wrong or if anyone has some suggestions.

Thanks

did you try cfdisk /dev/hdb ? you have to specify what device to use, same for fdisk.

no i did not for cfdisk all i did at the prompt was "cfdisk". but shouldn't i be able to change while in cfdisk?

make sure you choose to write the changes. There's an option to write, if you don't write, your old settings are simply restored when you quit cfdisk.

make sure you choose to write the changes. There's an option to write, if you don't write, your old settings are simply restored when you quit cfdisk.

correct. cfdisk is what i use for all of my linux partitioning needs, and as long as you tell it to write the changes, everything works like it should.

kick ass! i'm gonna try that when i get home!!!

good luck.... oh yea and one other thnig i learned about slack the hard way.... as of the last one i tried, they DIDNOT include the little bits of source thant you need to compile any/everything in the iso distrobution.... i think it is available for download on their site.... this confused the hell out off me for sooooo long....

yeah, me and jack installed slack 9 and it didn't have the fucking sources for anything.

yeah, me and jack installed slack 9 and it didn't have the fucking sources for anything.

dude, it's just a cd, what do you expect?! lol

i know I was kinda pissed when 9.1 came on 2 discs, but i guess its better.

ok ive been going back through and trying to research getting the source install and do you guys think i should just put 9.1 in or try to install the source i would like to install the source couse its a great lerning exp but iam stuck as you will see in the other post.

with gentoo, you have the source for everything... ^_^

Sorry I had to say it, ;) but yeah slackware does include the source for most stuff now.

and as for cfdisk, eww, I just use fdisk, I don't really see a why they made another one that does the same exact thing just with ncurses... *shrug*

Edited by jedibebop

well i have 9.0 and would likke to learn how to install the source and the alsa drivers"or whatever thay are called" or update my kernal its ok if i fuck it up its not on the net anyway so if anyone could give me a good doc or let me know what to do it would kick ass ive been looking for 8 hours at lest and i ma have got my alsa installed but it does'nt work and i have no idea how to check

"takes breath" :umph:

my brain herts

I just use fdisk

same here, there's just something i like more about it than cfdisk.

if you want to update the kernel to 2.6, alsa is built in, all you have to do is compile it in to the kernel (*)

also updating your kernel isn't that hard, find the source of your choice, untar (or bzip or whatever format) to /usr/src/, then make a simlink to it to /usr/src/linux like 'ln -s /usr/src/linux-whatever-version /usr/src/linux' (make sure it's not already symlinked to something else with ls -l, if it is, just 'rm /usr/src/linux') then 'cd /usr/src/linux' make menuconfig and have fun ;)

Once you are done with that, if you are using a 2.6 kernel, just 'make && make modules modules_install'

When it's done, make sure /boot is mounted, and then do 'cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-whatever-version' and 'cp System.map /boot/System.map' just to be safe, then edit grub or lilo to point to the new kernel and reboot.

If you ARE using 2.6, something to remember is that you need to do 'mkdir /sys', a 2.6 system will need it, but you have to make it if you are upgrading from 2.4...of course emerging the kernel in gentoo will do that for you *cough*;)*cough*

Anyway, hope that helped, I used to be afraid to compile my kernel, once I started using gentoo, I've compiled it more times than I care to count

Edited by jedibebop

ok iam going to try this later couse i kinda let everything go out the window in my apt so later will you or anyone be on the conf if i cant do this "just i n case"

I'm never on the confrence, it's against my moral standards

heh, j/k, I just don't go on it......*shrug*

When it's done, make sure /boot is mounted, and then do 'cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-whatever-version' and 'cp System.map /boot/System.map' just to be safe, then edit grub or lilo to point to the new kernel and reboot

do i need to do this if iam just installing the kernel source or updating?

and to all who ma wont to know i did read and could not find anything that help so thank you jedibebop you da man

Edited by Tank

you must copy over the new image even if you just change like one thing, so yeah, you have to do that any time you change or update your kernel

:cry: :cry:

ok i got everthing working till the image part now it wont boot should i just start over

what do you mean til the image part? it compiled fine and you copied it over?

What error do you get at boot?

When it's done, make sure /boot is mounted, and then do 'cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-whatever-version' and 'cp System.map /boot/System.map' just to be safe, then edit grub or lilo to point to the new kernel and reboot.

ok that were things went rong it says cp: cannot 'arch/i386/boot/bzimage' : No such file or directory

this is what i typed

cp arch/i386/boot/bzimage /boot/kernel-2.4.20

it never booted ether had to use boot disk

were you in /usr/src/linux?

cause arch/i386/boot/bzimage is /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzimage