great spirit

so let me get this straight?

28 posts in this topic

most of the "hackers" here use visual basic on windows?

I wouldn't call most of the people here hackers (or "hackers").

most of the "hackers" here use visual basic on windows?

Off the top of my head there are two, and maybe four people currently frequenting these forums that definitly deserve the title of hacker. And no, I've never seen one of them post a VB crypter. The thing that made me laugh is when I searched the coding challenges section the term "Visual Basic OR VB" and "Visual Basic" turned up, "No results found for Visual Basic'. In fact if the entire forums are searched for the term Visual Basic this top is like the seventh hit... Searching with Google, site:binrev.com Visual Basc OR VB, turns up about 244 hits, and most of which are in Noob Headquarters which are new people asking about VB.

Part of the hack is using what tools you have to make it work. Alot of times my goals define what tools I use to get there. If my goals can be accomplished quicker with a Windows centric language, then I'll use it (I prefer C# over VB). If my goals can be accomplished by non-windows means, then I'll use whatever language/platform gets me there the fastest. To be a snob and say, "Real Hackers only use Linux" is a insult to themselves. Hackers use whatever means necessary to get to their goal. Usually they want to do it in the shortest amount of development time so they can enjoy the fruits of their labor. Unless you want to be anacronistic about it in which case you should be coding in assembly and nothing else.

Haters love to pick on Microsoft. Putting aside the arguments about big brother bill and having the market share, the arguments after that are pretty weaksauce. Last time I met up with people who work there, most of the coders there are linux people who discovered that it sucks begging for scrapes on FOSS when trying to pay a mortgage. Bitter people in that respect. Microsoft's biggest problem I see is their management. Good ideas there die too quickly in committee or are perverted and twisted by management. But I believe alot of that is because it's very hard to cater to such a wide audience and release a product that is groundbreaking *and* usable enmass.

Apple, on the other hand, is being flogged heavily (with good cause) for their developer agreements and refusal to do anything "non-apple" (ie: Hypercard and Flash). Yet, we don't nearly give them enough the level of hate we do Microsoft. Every move that Apple has been doing lately has been reinforcing this image that they are still the biggest asshole on the block. This isn't new for them. It dates way back to Apple clones and how they had them... then started to retract their licenses... or developer licenses requiring mad amounts of money (tho you got boxes of CD's every week with code and docs) or their closed API.

Linux, while it has the openness and support, will always lack the level of polish that the other two have. Mostly because Linux hasn't attracted the GUI designers nor does it have a support structure like either. Peer support != Product support. Peer support == common problem others have had and a collective solution == fundamental problem with the software to begin with.