Havoc

Pay phones: The search for an endangered species

8 posts in this topic

It's interesting to think that most people don't take notice of payphones on the street - I'm so used to automatically taking note of one whenever I see it that I sorta forgot most people simply don't care.

It'd be cool to start some really bizarre social project to at least get them a little more attention sometime. Maybe do something like conference a whole bunch around a city together.

It'd be cool to start some really bizarre social project to at least get them a little more attention sometime. Maybe do something like conference a whole bunch around a city together.

We should hold a national payphone conference day. Or even a once a month payphone conference. Why not?

It's the same story in most contries. Where I live (England) one village has had 3 pay phones removed in recent years. It was only today when I decided to do a scan I realized there was a lack of them!

I guess the increase of mobile phones has stopped the need for them.

(First post, cool site. Noticed there was a couple of other UK folks on here too!)

There is probably around 10 pay phones in my town, I never actually noticed them until I started looking.

Plenty of pay phones here. Well, if you count Bell's Millenniums anyways. As far as non-millenniums, or even COCOTS, I know of a whole *1* in this city. Best part about this one is that the residential NID is on the pole about 2 feet above the phone itself. Also, it is the only phone in Windsor that actually rings when you call it.

I was riding down US-9W in Ulster and Orange Counties, NY yesterday from Kingston to Newburgh, and noticed a large number of old phone booth carcasses, as well as a couple Verizon-marked payphones.