StankDawg

What do you want on a radio server?

51 members have voted

1. 1. where do ya fit in?

• White hat
    • Black Hat
    • Gray Hat
    • I don't wear any fukking hats.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 posts in this topic

Ok, option 1 details...

I queue up old episodes of all of the talk shows that we listen to around here and they play randomly until the scheduled shows interrupt to air. After the weekly show airs, then it queues up old talk shows start playing again randomly.

option 2...

I queue up music... in random order from miscellaneous genres (mostly techno) but toally random playlist. When a show is scheduled to air, it interrupts the music and airs and then that random music playlist comes back on.

option 3...

I queue up music... in random order from set genres (Monday = techno, Tuesday=industrial, etc...) but a totally random playlist *within* that genre. When a show is scheduled to air, it interrupts the music and airs and then that random music playlist comes back on.

If we decide we like option 2 or 3 better, then I need to test and account for a higher bitrate. I will also need volunteers to stress test the bandwidth by staying connected 24/7 for a while to see what happens. I will post later when that time comes.

i would say option 1 is better couse the ease on bandwith and everyone has different scheduals. so when you play music i might whant to lisen to talk. if its on the same show and not seperated. i could help but i need to get the other computers so i can run a windows machine then setup a shoutcast or what ever stream i find using my own bandwith.(iam new to this and would like to help never set on up)

imho option 1, stank if you need stress testing, i'll can provide my 2 main systems to remain connected for any amount of time if you want.

I'm glad you brought this up Stank, I was just about to suggest something similar. Rant Talk is not what i thought it would be. I'm with option 1. I would be willing to run a relay also, if needed.

A talk station would be easier on anyone's bandwidth constraints. 16Kbps? I could totally run one of those.

ill take option 2. and if you need stress testing, i have 2 boxen that i can hook up for however long you need

I'm taking number 1 ;)

#1 for me, I'm tired of listening to the same Jello and Sean Kennedy speaches every night.

Definitely number one. I agree; different talk shows, lower bandwidth, and I can get any kind of music at shoutcast.com. Unless there was a "bland's Guitar Hour" or "Nerdcore w/ DJfeend"...

Definitely number one. I agree; different talk shows, lower bandwidth, and I can get any kind of music at shoutcast.com. Unless there was a "bland's Guitar Hour" or "Nerdcore w/ DJfeend"...

ok, see I was thinking the same thing...nercore and our "homemade music" (or should I say BLAND's music).

Maybe I will make 1 weekly show that is the "nercore hour" or something as a regular show of music, just like the other scheduled shows. Does that sound like a good idea?

that'd be pretty cool yeah. you could even have some short talk section on it about how to set up a linux recording machine or how to set up your equipment or stuff like that.

i say number 1 believe it or not some of us are still on dialup. i also like hacs idea on recording...im somewhat of an audio junkie and love exchanging and hearing new ideas.

I'm with option 1...of course, scheduled segments of music would be great too.

i am here to vote aganst option 2 ... i see no reason not to schedule in some kickin tunes as well, however, the world needs stank running a talk station much more than a music station... theres plenty of good music out there.....

the nerdcore hour sounds cool. option 1 is what i went with, i dont listen to hardly ANY radio stations for music since i usually only listen to that i have on my computer.