Aghaster

Snow Leopard Retail VMware Installation

16 posts in this topic

linuxosxdual.th.png

I finally managed to get a Snow Leopard Retail installation working in VMware on my Linux system, and it wasn't really hard to get working. Here is the guide I used:

http://www.taranfx.com/how-to-install-snow-leopard-vmware-workstation-windows

Following that guide, I couldn't get a retail DVD to boot directly, but iDeneb v1.6 10.5.8 Lite Edition booted, installed and worked out of the box. However, iDeneb is a cracked OS X distribution, which means you can't upgrade without risking to break your system. It doesn't matter, as the iDeneb installation is just temporary. I added a second hard disk (larger than the first one) and formatted it from my working iDeneb installation. I then just put the retail DVD and forced an installation to the second hard disk from my iDeneb installation. After that, I just changed my virtual machine settings to put the second hard disk as the first hard disk, and I rebooted. Boom, it works :) Retail Snow Leopard installation in VMware! The guide adds a couple of tips and tricks to tune it to your needs, such as how to change the screen resolution. In the screenshot above, I have changed the resolution to 1680x1050 and put it full screen on my second screen. I updated it without any troubles. There may be some minor glitches such as powering off the system causes a kernel panic, but it can be safely ignored as it only happens when OS X was just about to turn itself off. The system is quite responsive and can certainly serve for development purposes. This is exactly what I wanted, a virtual machine and not a real mac.

EDIT: Grab this additional graphics driver in order to improve video performance. It doesn't provide video acceleration, but it's better than the default driver.

Good Job.

I tried to get Apple OS to work on my virtual machine (VirtualBox) a little while ago so as to complete my "VM Repertoire" and ensure that I'm up to snuff on everyone's setup. From what I remember using VMware is a mixed blessing...getting it to work on VirtualBox is hard but it runs well...but from what I understood with VMware it is easier to get it to run with the tools available as you mentioned but the performance it terrible.

What has been your experience on the performance of the OS? Can you run stuff without wanting to blow your brains out because it is running so slow and buggy?

Thanks, I've actually been looking for information on getting snow leopard running in VMWare for a project. Gonna have to give this a try this week.

Awesome, hopefully this might work on VirtualBox, I am not a fan of vmware.

First of all thank you for sharing that program and congratulations for your beatiful desktop!! :)

I don't understand very well, but I have a question that i want to do, can I only install Mac OS on a virtual machine or also on a normal pc?!

First of all thank you for sharing that program and congratulations for your beatiful desktop!! :)

I don't understand very well, but I have a question that i want to do, can I only install Mac OS on a virtual machine or also on a normal pc?!

I remember seeing various hacks to install mac os on a PC but you would have to look them up since it was a while ago. Its also against apples terms of service so its illegal ;)

edit:

I guess you dont need hacks now.

http://lifehacker.com/348653/install-os-x-on-your-hackintosh-pc-no-hacking-required

Edited by The Th1nker

I remember seeing various hacks to install mac os on a PC but you would have to look them up since it was a while ago. Its also against apples terms of service so its illegal ;)

edit:

http://lifehacker.com/348653/install-os-x-on-your-hackintosh-pc-no-hacking-required

Oh yes, I know that it's illegal, but I think that it isn't illegal for personal use!

Because I just want to install Mac OS to get experience with it beacuse next year I'm going to buy it for the university course!!:)

Thank you for the tutorial, I'll have a look very soon!!

edit:

Oh yes, I know that it's illegal, but I think that it isn't illegal for personal use!

Because I just want to install Mac OS to get experience with it because next year I'm going to buy it for the university course!!:)

Thank you for the tutorial, I'll have a look very soon!!

Just an advice for buying it from the store, make sure to buy the full installation and not just the upgrade. They'll most likely try to sell you the upgrade, so be careful.

Awesome, hopefully this might work on VirtualBox, I am not a fan of vmware.

Same for me, so I spent a lot of time trying to get things to work in VirtualBox, but after so many unsuccessful attempts I just gave VMware a chance and the support is much better. The reason is that VMware has experimental support for Mac OS X Server editions since Apple revised its EULA in order to allow Mac OS X Server virtual machines. The biggest problem with the legal status of Mac OS X installations in either virtual machines or PCs is that nobody wants to officially support it because they don't want to get an army of lawyers after them. Apple has been in court against Psystar, and has recently won for claims regarding anti-piracy methods that happen to be bypassed in order to make hackint0shs, but not on the claims regarding stuff that just makes it possible to install Mac OS X on non-Apple hardware without bypassing an anti-piracy mechanism. However, in the case of this Mac OS X Retail installation, the operating system hasn't even been modified in order to disable all sorts of stuff and force it to run anyway, so the DMCA cannot apply. However, this is still breaking the Apple EULA because it's not a Server edition (other editions aren't allowed for virtual machines). Because of that, this guide is for educational purposes only :P

Once motherboard manufacturers stop using BIOS and add support for EFI into their products, it should no longer be an issue. They don't have to SUPPORT os x, but it's unofficial support would be a byproduct of replacing BIOS with EFI.

Once motherboard manufacturers stop using BIOS and add support for EFI into their products, it should no longer be an issue. They don't have to SUPPORT os x, but it's unofficial support would be a byproduct of replacing BIOS with EFI.

EFI is only one of the things that prevent Mac OS X from installing out of the box on ordinary PCs. PS/2 mouse and keyboards do not exist on macs, so you need to add your own .kext for those. The installer doesn't allow you by default to install on an MBR formatted disk, unless you got and edit OSInstall.pkg to remove the check for that. After that, the stock kernel won't work with AMD processors and a lot of processors not found in real macs. Some people have found ways around that too. The rest of the problems are mostly related to the supported hardware, as you can't expect much to work for hardware that isn't found in a real mac.

Of course, getting around the EFI problem on a PC with a BIOS is the biggest step, but then you still need to get around tons of problem that happen at random for different people as everybody is pretty much using different hardware, making it quite hard for newbies to just come and make their own fixes in function of their hardware unless someone has written a guide specifically for it. This is why virtual machines are nice, because it becomes easier to consistently get the same problems in the same places, and get a nice guide that will work for everybody.

What I've done in this case is a virtual machine in VMware, but it's also possible to install Mac OS X on a normal PC. It's much harder to get it to work natively on a PC though, as people have all sorts of different hardware and guides you will find online can't foresee all problems you will face for your particular hardware. I suggest you first try installing some sort of cracked OS X distribution such as SnowOSX Universal 3.6, which worked on my HP Probook 4510s and on my friend's VAIO. The problem with cracked distros is that you can't update them without risking to make your system unusable. I still suggest you install one of those first on an external hard disk, and then use that working installation to attempt a retail installation from there. You'll need to install a special bootloader such as Chameleon that can boot Mac OS X on a PC. You'll then need to read a couple of online guides to figure out how to fix issues that will prevent your system from working. It's way harder to get a native installation working, so I suggest you try the virtual machine first.

There is one major advantage of installing it natively though: if you have a supported video card, you can get full video acceleration. Video acceleration works on my HP Probook, but not ethernet and wireless. I bought a usb wireless adapter that has a compatible chipset to get around the networking problem. What's more of a pain in the ass so far with my attempts at making a good native installation on my laptop is that SnowOSX Universal 3.6 is a cracked distro, and the keyboard + mouse randomly work when I boot it. I'll eventually try a native installation using a method similar to what I did for the virtual machine, and fix the problems one by one myself so that I know exactly which modifications are necessary.

Thank you for your reply!!:)

For how you have explain the situation I think that i first try to install it on a virtual machine like you suggest to me and then I'll read some guides or tutorial to get experience with MacOS which granted to me to work correctly with it without any troubles!! :)

Last question, Do i install a particular version of VMware or is the same?!

EFI is only one of the things that prevent Mac OS X from installing out of the box on ordinary PCs. PS/2 mouse and keyboards do not exist on macs, so you need to add your own .kext for those. The installer doesn't allow you by default to install on an MBR formatted disk, unless you got and edit OSInstall.pkg to remove the check for that. After that, the stock kernel won't work with AMD processors and a lot of processors not found in real macs. Some people have found ways around that too. The rest of the problems are mostly related to the supported hardware, as you can't expect much to work for hardware that isn't found in a real mac.

Of course, getting around the EFI problem on a PC with a BIOS is the biggest step, but then you still need to get around tons of problem that happen at random for different people as everybody is pretty much using different hardware, making it quite hard for newbies to just come and make their own fixes in function of their hardware unless someone has written a guide specifically for it. This is why virtual machines are nice, because it becomes easier to consistently get the same problems in the same places, and get a nice guide that will work for everybody.

Personally I don't see ps/2 keyboards and mice as a problem or something keeping people from running os x as their operating system of choice on their non-mac hardware. They are readily available for a cheap price and there is no reason why someone wouldn't be able to get one. Secondly, of course there will be compatibility issues with hardware because that is how os x is designed. The whole point of Apple controlling the hardware is that they use a very limited set of hardware to ensure that there is very little unexpected behavior with the hardware and that it works well. It's reasonably easy to figure out what hardware is used in the current or any generation of mac hardware and you can generally find the same chipsets in non-apple specific hardware released for people to build their own PCs. It's just up to the user to build their hackintosh properly. The MBR issue can be resolved by simply setting up the disk through the install dvd of os x and formatting the disk properly. The one issue holding back people from installing OS X on their own computers is the lack of EFI support by motherboard manufacturers. Until it happens people will still be forced to use these bootloader hacks to emulate/translate EFI calls.

For how you have explain the situation I think that i first try to install it on a virtual machine like you suggest to me and then I'll read some guides or tutorial to get experience with MacOS which granted to me to work correctly with it without any troubles!! :)

The guide is intended for VMware 7, previous versions probably won't work as it's using experimental support for Mac OS X server.

The guide is intended for VMware 7, previous versions probably won't work as it's using experimental support for Mac OS X server.

Ok, I'll try that as soon as possible!! Thank You!! :)